How to configure independent doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeCeDiver once bubbled...
I'd rather have the tanks on my back, because I want to have my arms completely free for my video camera.

I used a stage bottle in Bonaire while diving the Windjammer, but I found it rather clumsy.
How is the jammer? Is it worth doing? Where'd you get the mix fills?

Nice topic, so we'll continue :D

The windjammer is a nice wreck and worth doing.

Mix ??? Not really needed for 21% O2.

I know it is not the best way, but we did it on air. Max depth was 60 metres (180 ft).

We followed a very conservative profile. From the reef to the Windjamer 12 minutes max, then staged deco starting at 24 metres. Total deco time was over 60 minutes (tables). The strange thing was that our computers showed less than 12 minutes deco.

PeCeDiver once bubbled...
Nice topic, so we'll continue :D

The windjammer is a nice wreck and worth doing.
Nice...how intact is it? Any penetration?

Mix ??? Not really needed for 21% O2.
Uhh...no comment :wink:

I know it is not the best way, but we did it on air. Max depth was 60 metres (180 ft).
Uhh...no comment :wink: You may want to check out this thread for future reference (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21646) :D

We didn't try penetrating the wreck. Would have been too dangerous at that depth. But it is sort of intact. It lies on its side. There are also some humongous ankers. They can be found left of the wreck at 210 ft.

Have to go. I've got some work to do.

Aqua Explorers, Inc. sells something called "Ultimate Velcro Double Bands".
http://www.aquaexplorers.com/double_bands.htm

I've used these a few times. You'll need a SPG on each regulator.
And you'll have to switch regs every 500psi or so, just to stay balanced. I actually breathed one of the tanks dry as I was doing a safety stop. If I was wearing a wetsuit, I would have had to orally inflate my BC at the surface.
Let me know if you are interested in a used set and I will check to see if I still have them.

Rick

Anyone here dive independant (i.e. non-manifolded) doubles? If so, how is your gear configured?

Rik - as a caver do you use independents simply because you can't manifold them in that configuration, or do you have a specific reason for wanting independent tanks?

Side mounting results in a lower profile and helps cave divers slip through them little itty bitty cracks where sane people won't go. =) Given how the tanks are mounted on each side of the diver in that configuration, they cannot be manifolded. It is the accepted reason to use independent doubles

I also dive independent doubles but in more normal diving. I do it for the flexibility it allows. I can use independent doubles on a single tank dive profile, breathe from one tank and have what amounts to a 72 cu ft pony, or I can use them on double tank dive profiles managing the air in each tank by thirds and maintain full redundancy through out the dive.

They offer advantages for me in that I do not have to lug doubles around for fills and the family stock of tanks can be used by all members rather than having some reserved only for me when set up as manifolded doubles. It also has the advantage of allowing the same familiar configuiration no matter what the profile or when traveling and using rental tanks where doubles are not normally available.

Given that the water here is quite cold, the biggest threat in terms of a reg failure is a first stage freeze up. With a set of manifolded doubles some action is required to close the correct valve to preserve any air supply. With independent doubles, closing the valve with the free flowing reg is desireable but not absolutely required as with proper air management you will still have adequate air to ascend in the other tank.

Using independent doubles will grant you membership into a select minority group however as they are generally discouraged due to the undeniable need to manage your air correctly and the need to switch regs once or twice during the dive and the debatable assertion that the additional task loading resulting from those one or two switches is an issue.

It's not DIR but then neither is solo diving and that comprises about half my dives anyway. Independent doubles with an alternate air source on the "primary" tank such as an Air 2 is a very good set up for solo diving - but doubly controversial.

I use a set of Aqua Exlplorers Utlimate Velcro Double Bands. They work quite well are low profile and durable. They can also accomodate any diameter tank. They are more durable than most travel band arrangements and are less expensive than most at around $125. They work very well with a backplate but can also be adapted for use with a BC with a hardpack and holes for doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom