How to configure independent doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dennisgrimm,

To my knowledge the other major agencies (with the exception of GUE) achknowledge independants as a valid choice. Not all instructors will go that rout though.

Good question Dennis.

I wonder just how many divers have TRIED independants.

I have had converstaions with other divers whom have either been TOLD that they are dangerous or that they are wrong.
Then I have asked them if they have tried diving with them.

Usually the answer is NO.

I guess that ANDI is the only agency that teaches people how to dive independants?

How about cave courses?

Does anyone teach how to properly sidemount their tanks? I have seen a couple of websites, but that is it.

Am I THAT weird? :confused:

dennisgrimm once bubbled...
I guess that ANDI is the only agency that teaches people how to dive independants?

How about cave courses?

Does anyone teach how to properly sidemount their tanks? I have seen a couple of websites, but that is it.

Am I THAT weird? :confused:
As I said, I don't think any of the tech agencies accept GUE disallows independants. That doesn't mean any given instructor will teach it though.

NACD, NSS-CDS and IANTD all have sidemount cave classes. I'm sure other agencied do also. Of vourse the CDG but they're across the pong.

toodles once bubbled...
Good question Dennis.

I wonder just how many divers have TRIED independants.

I have had converstaions with other divers whom have either been TOLD that they are dangerous or that they are wrong.
Then I have asked them if they have tried diving with them.

Usually the answer is NO.

I don't know if you need to try them to have good reason to decide against them.

My former cave instructor does most of his own diving sidemount so it isn't like his students aren't exposed to it or are told that it's wrong. I have a sidemount rig but I'm not really using it at this time but I have. So I guess you could say I've tried independents.

The TDI tech material has info on independents but in my trimix class we dived with a manifold. I don't think I'd need an instructor to transition to independents if I decided to.

After you've been at it a while it doesn't matter so much what you were told. I think you'll make up your own mind.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I don't know if you need to try them to have good reason to decide against them.

Perhaps not, but if you declare that task loading is an issue, you should at least have tried them for some time. Here in Europe most cave divers have always been diving indipendents and I've never ever heard that monitoring air and switching regs was an issue; simply, it is not.
Monitoring air and switching regs becomes quickly a second nature.

In my opinion in the US people is afraid it might be more difficult so they resist it. Equally, europeans are afraid of catastrophic loss of air, and resist manifolded doubles. JJ admits though that for solo diving indipendent twins might be a better option.

One very true thing pointed out by DAA was that you can always dive indipendents no matter where you are, just pair two tanks, so you have one diving style and one only and never have to change or adapt. And if you need to dive sidemount you're ready for it.

DA Aquamaster:
Well cool...the number of independent doubles divers on this board has just doubled. Welcome to the minority. :D

You mean tripled. Just purchased the ultra twins dive rite setup from the LDS. plan on using it for my ice diving. Get that tank off my chest. Two SPG's, no big deal, I always check the other divers gauges during the dive anyway.

nh

I first dove independent doubles in 1974; took two steel 72s, two Conshelfs, two SPGs, put them in a set of twin bands, and attached them to a backplate. Nobody told me how. I was 17 years-old. Swam across Lake Travis. Easy.

dlarbale:
All,

Just a general question to see how people run the hoses on Independents. My current view - if your diving independents then your probably solo so why have a long hose. If your not diving solo then just have the one long hose and deal with an OOA in the normal manner but hand off the long hose.

OK I know there's an extra step in there for OOA to determine which hose is the long one but is this really a concern if your buddies are all diving independent config. Basically an OOA situation shouldn't be a rush affair as total air loss is not a possibility.

I don't want to start a debate about diving independent or not! I'm just curious about the different configs as I know a few people that dive 2 long hoses on independents (seems a bit overkill for the reasons stated above).

Thanks - Dave.

Try sidemount for independant doubles. Much safer than back mounted cylinders

coffeefein24:
You mean tripled. Just purchased the ultra twins dive rite setup from the LDS. plan on using it for my ice diving. Get that tank off my chest. Two SPG's, no big deal, I always check the other divers gauges during the dive anyway.

nh
I have been diving independants for alot longer than I have been on scubaboard. This is the first time I have seen this thread.
Toodles you would be proud of me in class tonight.
student: so let's say you had a freeflow at the turn point of the dive and lost your left tank gas supply
wedivebc: no problem I still have 1/3 remaining in my other tank, enough to complete the exit point.
student: OK so what if I was OOA at this point you would not have enough to get me out
wedivebc: if you were diving independants you wouldn't be OOA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom