How to declare tanks for BC Ferries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdupreez

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I thought after the weekend's diving in BC, it would be good to post this. I had a very pleasant experience with declaring tanks (marked as Nitrox tanks) on the BC Ferries.

They DO accept Nitrox tanks and even their web site declares it so.. see BC Ferries - British Columbia Ferry Services Inc. - Experience the Difference and read the "Scuba Tanks" section on "Enriched Air" (I would print out this page, highlight the Enriched Air portions and take it with you!)

The Ferry officials were so impressed by the forms, they put me up front and I was first on and first off the ferry! This was from Horseshoe Bay to Langdale and back!!

BEFORE you get to the Ferry terminal, download and fill out the Dangerous Goods Shipping form with the following information:

Get the "Dangerous Goods Shipping Document" here: http://www.bcferries.com/files/PDFs/BCF-DGIS_Appendix-C.pdf

For Air AND Nitrox tanks (Yes, declare Nitrox up to 40% as Air):

Proper Shipping Name: Compressed Air
Class: 2.2
Sub Class: (Leave blank)
UN#: 1002
Packing Group: (Leave Blank)
Flash Point: (Leave Blank)
Marine Pollutant: (Leave Blank)
QTY: 4 CYL (Your Cylinder count.. mine was 4)
Gross/Net Mass: (See below on how to calculate - they are VERY impressed when you have this)

For 50% to 100% O2 Deco Gas, declare as Oxygen:

(Everything is the same as air, except name and UN#)
Proper Shipping Name: Oxygen Compressed
UN#: 1072

How To Calculate Gross weight and Net Gas weight:

Air and Oxygen roughly weights 35.40 grams per cubic foot.

Weigh your tanks when they are full, thats the Gross weight and then calculate the weight of the air, that is net weight (per tank)

For example:

My worthington HP100 steel full of air = 46.52lb = 21.1Kg (Gross)
The compressed air for 100cft = 100 x 35.40g = 3,540g = 3.54Kg (Net)

I had four tanks so Gross weight and Net weight times four and rounded off to closest digit:

Gross/Net Mass = 84kg/14kg

I had a very pleasant experience with declaring tanks (marked as Nitrox tanks) on the BC Ferries.

I've had very pleasant experiences by using the US gov military policy of "Don't ask...Don't tell" YMMV

Thanks for the info. If they ever stop me and ask me to do the paperwork at least I will have a copy with my gear.
But I cant see me asking if they want it. I am with JeffG.

U/O

The bonus is if you do declare it you usually get on first (so you offload first on the otherside and beat the traffic. If that matters.

I used to love hauling the O2 over for exactly that reason.

Even with 7 "K" cyl of O2 and a couple of He, the biggest hassel I EVER had was having to walk up to the control room in the tower, hand the DG papers (from Praxair) and sign... then go back down and assume pole position.

The funny I always thought of... By putting me and my 100lbs of rather effective oxidizer up front, right beside the two trailer diesel tanker truck (diesel requires placard1202), isn't that INCREASING the risks in case of fire??

In 15 loads, I only ever had one grief... thats were I argued with the ticket booth person about having DG to declare... she thought and was convinced when I said Oxygen that I was talking a little medical bottle and as such was not 'really' hauling DG. Unfortunatel, by NOT having my bulk loads registered on the ship's manifest, a couple of the officers on that ship would be in jeapardy of losing very important tickets if ever checked / uncovered by Transport Canada's inspectors.

So yeah, by disregarding the lady at the payment window and going up to the tower anyways, I too got the very happy vibe described by the OP.

My verbose point is this... they like you having the docs in order and to declare because through a random driver's omission, the senior officers on the boat can have their transport Canada credentials pulled... or so the controller told me one day

The funny I always thought of... By putting me and my 100lbs of rather effective oxidizer up front, right beside the two trailer semi filled with diesel, isn't that INCREASING the risks in case of fire??

No way????? How could a government bureaucrat make such an error?

No way????? How could a government bureaucrat make such an error?

I have heard through unofficial channels that the placement is definitely planned... such that if there ever is a fire, you get to get off the boat early, or at least your vehicle and load do.

come to think of it, I have also been loaded dead last **ONE** time, but I got there just as loading was commencing. The biggest concern they have is just actually knowing WHERE the DG they need to worry about is located (according to the deck crew)

Just a talking point, but what do you do between 40% and 50%? Up to 40% is Air over 50% is O2.

First off and first off - just might start carrying my gear back and forth (I travel weekly to Victoria these days).

oh yeah one more thing to add... I seem to remember being told they do NOT like Dangerous Goods in the accessible, or open load bed of a pickup truck... I always had a tonneau cover.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom