How to declare tanks for BC Ferries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's also some nonsense about only allowing 8 nitrox tanks... The ferry staff interpret that as only 8 tanks, period. As long as you're not driving in a wrapped van with diving company stuff all over it they'll never ask.

Yeah, good point, they want the tanks secured and covered, preferably something you can lock up.

I'm declaring hence forth!

The only jerk was the US border patrol person when I got back stateside, he had a thousand questions, took the truck keys and wanted to see the tanks, check air pressure and bang around on all of them to make sure there's nothing hiding in them.. But I guess I can forgive him Since he was doing his job and trying to keep narcotics and such off the streets. But still, no reason for being rude about it though..

thanks for the info... next time we go to gabriola we'll wow the pita at the ticket booth lol.the only place I've been asked!/made to do the paperwork.

The funny I always thought of... By putting me and my 100lbs of rather effective oxidizer up front, right beside the two trailer diesel tanker truck (diesel requires placard1202), isn't that INCREASING the risks in case of fire??

Not only that, but they're putting you in the bottom level ... BELOW the waterline ... where if something bad happens, you're pretty much guaranteed to sink the damn boat ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not only that, but they're putting you in the bottom level ... BELOW the waterline ... where if something bad happens, you're pretty much guaranteed to sink the damn boat ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:confused:

None of the ferries I have traveled on had decks or public areas below water line. The lowest semi truck deck is about 3' ABOVE loaded water line.

AFAIK only machinery spaces and tankage are below the waterline.

The reason they put the dangerous loads fore and aft is so they can conviently roll you over the side to save the ship, if the emergency warrents it.

Bob

The reason they put the dangerous loads fore and aft is so they can conviently roll you over the side to save the ship, if the emergency warrents it.

Bob

Not quite sure how well that would work on the ships that are being discussed.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A new wreck to dive :D:D:D:D:D

How To Calculate Gross weight and Net Gas weight:

Air and Oxygen roughly weights 35.40 grams per cubic foot.

Weigh your tanks when they are full, .........

.......My eyes are getting heavy.......

............ 84kg/14kg

So I'm hunting around the INet trying to figure out what kind of insane paperwork I'll need for Will and I to get our tanks over to Nanaimo and I discover this weird and nerdy metric/imperial/new-world-order type post talking grams and UN#s. I'm thinking: "This is like something Koos would write". Then I noticed the poster's name.

Nice job though.

Just found this today - very useful for my trip to Sechelt tomorrow to look for wolf eels.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom