How to do that pesky back finning thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an 8' mirror I took from a bathroom remodel in my pool for years. While a gopro is awesome, a mirrior gives the student instant feedback that he can fix immediately.

What's your take on what you were doing wrong, and what you did to fix it?

At that time, I was doing the fintip method so my mistake was in not pointing my fintips downwards during the loading phase with the knees slightly below the bodyline. I still use the fintip method most of the time although I have tried the sidewall one and yes, when done correctly, there is a decent amount of propulsion too.

Were you finding the propulsion different on the back kick between the X-Streams and the Jets?

I guess especially on the side wall kick, since for me, the scoop kick is great with the X-Streams. And really any of the flexible pocket fins.

I am emotionally tied to my X-Streams anyway, but it is nice knowing what others get out of things.

I used a mirror in a pool in the final tweakings of a DIY sidemount harness. I just bought a cheapo door mirror and propped it up sideways against the pool wall. Drooping soft weights across the top edge kept it from floating away, and lining more weights along the bottom edge kept the bottom from kicking out.

As undrwater says, a mirror gives instant feedback-- it worked great. Completely worth the $7 or so that I paid for it. Just be careful to stay away from it when practicing kicks so this doesn't turn into a cleanup job.
This I can manage with my skills. I've been able to do laps with the kick board and no fins backwards. Still can't seem to manage underwater with my fins on.
I use jet/like fins but mine are generic, as they were the only ones I could find to fit me properly with my little feet, even with the drysuit.
I haven't had a chance to do much diving, since I'm dealing with this avascular necrosis for the past 4-5 months but I've done some swimming in my pool. Surgery this week so that will probably come to an end, at least for a few weeks.
Surgery on one leg, heal for 6 weeks, then surgery on the other.

Were you finding the propulsion different on the back kick between the X-Streams and the Jets?

I guess especially on the side wall kick, since for me, the scoop kick is great with the X-Streams. And really any of the flexible pocket fins.

I am emotionally tied to my X-Streams anyway, but it is nice knowing what others get out of things.

I was already using the Jetfins by the time I moved on to learning the backfin but I've tried a few times, mainly unsuccessfully, with the X-Streams. During those (EXTREMELY) rare times when I got the move right, the propulsion was really amazing. More than the Jetfins for sure but you had to go with the flow almost literally because of their soft blades. Too fast and hard and you'd find the water just moving past the fins as they bent out of the way. Too slow and soft and you'll be moving at a snail's pace and tiring yourself with hardly anything to show for it.

I guess now that I've settled into the Jetfins nicely, it's good to know that what I put in is what I'll get back instead of hoping for some extra assistance from fancy technology. For what it's worth, the X-Streams are still very popular over here and I see them on almost every dive.

I found if you even think about it, or get put on the spot... forget it, it won't happen LOL

swim forward while frog kicking... get some momentum going.
Then put your fins to the outside to brake/slow yourself. If you continue this motion, you will naturally start to back fin. It may not be graceful at first, and you may find you use your whole legs and not go anywhere... but keep practicing with just feet only movements.

I found it's easier to back fin when I'm just not even thinking about it... moving around a buddy tying a line/jump or moving backwards a little to frame up my camera, etc.

I was asked to backfin on my cave courses and when put on the spot, it came out terrible. But my instructors knew I do this constantly while photographing or holding the line, etc and have no issues doing it. One of my instructors said the same thing happened to them...and they have 1000's of dives... as soon as they were put on the spot..it just didn't happen LOL.

It takes a lot of practice but will come easier once you do it a LOT and it becomes muscle memory.

BTW I do mine in big OW fins that I also cave dive in. I'd say as long as they weren't split fins, you shouldn't have any problems with any fin type.

BTW I do mine in big OW fins that I also cave dive in. I'd say as long as they weren't split fins, you shouldn't have any problems with any fin type.

I think the warning against split fins may be more of an urban legend than reality.

Last year I was doing a refresher class for a father and son, and as we were gearing up, I looked at the son's fins and said, "Those aren't your fins, are they?" They were Atomic split fins with a spring strap, and they were enormous, much too big for him. He insisted they were his, but when he put them on, the spring strap didn't even touch his heel. When I asked about the last time he used them, he said it was at a group session about a year before, and I suggested that someone else left that session with Atomic split fins that were far too small for him. He could not take the class in those fins, so I had to figure out what to do. I gave him my Jets to use, which were also too big for him, but they were at least usable. I wore the Atomics, and the spring barely touched my heel. I had replace them every few minutes during the session.

During a lot of the working time during such a session, I back kick while facing the students as they do skills, etc. To my absolute shock, I had no trouble back finning with those things. I have had more trouble when I had to wear really soft blade fins.

I think it is harder to learn to back kick in split fins, but once you have mastered the skill, you may be surprised at the different kinds of fins you can do it in. Keep in mind, though, that there are two different methods of doing the skill. If you are using the wide side wall as your resisting surface, you will have to do it differently in a fin that does not have a wide side wall.

I found if you even think about it, or get put on the spot... forget it, it won't happen LOL

Yeah, happened to me too. Even before I could backfin at will, I found that I could at least brake at will but once the current carried me past the instructor or object I was looking at and I needed to get back, everything went to bits. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom