How to get over this fear!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "head first" phobia may be due to a subconscious concern about smacking face-first into the bottom of the pool, which can be a very real concern when diving from the side of a pool.

If you have a local pool you can swim laps in, you might try doing laps while snorkeling. I do this at our local YMCA, primarily to work the leg muscles with the fins, and no one seems to have any problem with using the gear in the pool. From time to time, I go ahead and submerge and skim along the bottom. For working through your phobia, you could try this and just work on a quick shallow dive and right back to the surface. This way, you're getting small doses of the phobia response, rather than a longer experience.

This is how professional therapists work with patients to get beyond phobias - small steps at a time. An arachnaphobe would be exposed to photos of spiders at first, then, when they've brought the fear response under control in that situation, to spiders safely confined behind glass. The fear is dealt with progressively until the person can handle spiders in their personal space, and eventually, until they can allow a spider to crawl on them without feeling the fear and panic of the phobia.

In most cases, the biggest step in dealing with a phobia is to understand and admit that - while the fear is real, it's an irrational fear. Knowing the reality of our fear helps us to work through it. Each time we accomplish even a minor situation where we've worked through our fear, it helps weaken that fear's hold on us. We gain confidence that we are capable of handling the thing or the situation we are afraid of, and rather than our fear mastering us, we become the master of our fears.

It's good that you know what you want to work on, and just like anything else it can definitely be conquered one step at a time :) Maybe just starting in the shallow end of a pool with snorkel gear gear and getting comfortable with simply floating face-down as normal and then swimming down to touch the bottom and back up. Really just a few times and you'll be able to naturally swim down more deeply - "doing it before you know it" (btw, worked for me). You're already in good shape staying positive - good luck! :)

Was chatting with someone on the chat and apparantly you don't do the skin diving in confined dive 4!
Fingers crossed!

Kelly,

Why do you have this feeling? You said fear of drowning but to get through this you need to dig a layer deeper than that. Why do you have the feeling that you're going to drown if you're head down?

R..

Hey

Doing my Padi confined dive 4 on monday...and a little bit worried about skin diving!
I've always had a phobia of "diving" underwater.

It's fine with the scuba but this is without it...!!

So anyone know how i can over come this fear =\??

take up skydiving---almost never water involved, unless you hit the lake on a landing...

You simply need to get in a pool and do it. Forget your fear and follow the instructions given above. Skindiving should be a precursor to scuba, since many of the sub-basic and even unconscious skills of scuba are usually learned while skin-diving (for example, descending, the feeling of being underwater, weightlessness, clearing your breathing tube etc.). If you run into problems with your snorkel, you can always lift your head about water, take the snorkel out, take a breath and try it again. If you have problems with your regulator, that is not really an option.

The skin dive does need to be done, whether you do it on confined 4 or 5 isn't as important as talking to your instructor and having them help you get comfortable doing it, stan in the shallow end and just put your face underwater till you are comfortable, then while still in the shallow end, float with your face in the water while breathing off your snorkel, then move to the deep end doing the float and snorkel, and finally dive to the bottom. Working up to the skin dive slowly will help allay your fear.

I didn't do it today!

Left home all fine and dandy...but came home with a cut to both knees and a bump to the head ¬.¬!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom