how to get to instructor level and making a living from diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I consider myself firmly on the side of "copious numbers of widely varying dives" being a prerequisite for Instructor, I was merely wondering, within the context of the question of how to become an Instructor, what seems to constitute normal, easy, or long.

(And then there's the old, "How do you make a million dollars diving? Start with two million.")

ClayJar:
While I consider myself firmly on the side of "copious numbers of widely varying dives" being a prerequisite for Instructor, I was merely wondering, within the context of the question of how to become an Instructor, what seems to constitute normal, easy, or long.

(And then there's the old, "How do you make a million dollars diving? Start with two million.")
The minimum number of required dives varies by agency. It is lower than what your shop requires for it's programs (good on the shop for that!).

It is nice to know that there are students out there who value the time and money I have put into my own training over the years. Unfortunately, most could care less about my resume, and it matters not one whit to them that mine is vastly longer than the next instructor in line. Consequently, it becomes very difficult to charge a reasonable price based on my qualifications and experience. Since I don't teach full time, I don't worry about that anymore- I charge what I think my knowledge is worth. Some students agree and take my classes, others don't and choose another instructor. Inote that I get lots of word of mouth referrals from previous students, though.

In terms of choosing to take a "month to instructor" course, or getting some experience diving first and progressing gradually, I think that's an individual choice. I looked at doing a program like that in Thailand, where you pay a whole lot of money and doing an internship, but at the end you've done all the training. I suppose there are pros and cons.

But here's one way to look at the "Bataan death march to the top". I'm in graduate school, and they do intense innerterm sessions, where you take a 3-credit course in 2 weeks. Now, in those two weeks, you're cramming information as quickly as possible, and in the end I'd imagine you'd be so tired (my friend who did this said never again!) and you would remember hardly anything.

I think that the "month to instructor" would be the same way. Rather than gaining a level, and then doing some diving to apply the knowledge, and then getting another level, you're trying to do it "all at once". To me, it seems like you're cutting corners, and there's greater room for error.

Naw. For those who are enlightened, it would be far better to see an instructor who has a LOT of dives over a period of time, and has gained the knowledge through experience and trial/error rather than someone who read the books, did the tests and test dives, and got the cards one after another.

Just my thoughts.

It is pretty hard to make money in the diving biz.

Teaching is usually done for the fun, the lifestyle and the travel. As a business, you are better off opening a bar and diving for fun with the profits.

stunaep:
do you like being an instructor...?
--c
Yes I do--alot. Maybe even too much.:wink:

Mark_J:
If you just want to be in the water, I'd suggest becoming a Dive Master on your own boat as the way to go. Work with all the local dive shops and provide the best possible charters. To accomplish this you'll need to have detailed information of the sites you'll dive and you get that by being in the water :wink:

With your professional background you probably have the skills to create and keep quite a following of loyal divers if you choose the dive locations well.

You can make a good living doing what you love, calculate the risks vs rewards and literally jump in!

Best of luck!!

Based on you talents and goals, I think this is the best idea of the bunch. I am not an instructor, but I am an avid diver and business consultant.

i had many friend that where instuctors when i lived in fl. its a great second job but not a primary income most where teachers some where different things but they all said the same thing you do it for the love of diving and to pay for your gear it wont pay the bills to many other people out there and not enuff students. unless you get lucky and are in an area that there not many other instructors then maybe you can make something out of it

When you turn a hobby into a job it can become a JOB....Just be sure it's what you want to do...

Stunaep:
i've seen schools that you can go for a month straight to get all the way through to instructor, but is that worth it.

It's worth it if you want to be a bad instructor....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom