How to handle non diving husband who is being difficult....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's amazing how much one can learn on this forum about relationships. Right now I am in a similar boot: I picked up diving and got addicted at the worst time possible, just before our son born early this year. This brought up some issues with my wife we had to discuss like grown-ups.

Also want to point, that she is not diving at this point but very interested. I want to provide her the possibility as soon as possible to try it out (as someone mentioned before: I "owe her" about a year).

#1: "Jealousy" - in terms of male-female buddies: not soo much of an issue, since diving here is mostly male dominated. And what's more important: we are in a healthy relationship.
Jealousy in terms of "doing somehing that the other would like to do but she can't" : that is more of a problem. In our special case its very important that I don't take to much time away from our newborn baby, and fit diving activities in short timeframes (-> no weeklong liveaboard this year, just 1-3 days trips max). Also I am careful when talking about diving - I am not trying to tease her all the time how good was the last dive. Besides, I don't want to give a false impression, that a hobby is more important than family.

#2: Time: we agreed on 1/3rd-1/4th of my holidays goes for diving (I have plenty:))), in the rest I stay with my dearest ones. Of course this will change as soon as junior doesn't want his mama to feed him every 3 hours:wink:.

#3: Money: important issue at this scale, especially that I started photography ($$$:(). I am trying to be as cost efficient as possible and communicate it clearly. E.g. instead of going to exotic+remote places I visit the car-accessible ones - especially for learning and practicing. I also bought several pieces of my gear second hand, which saved us a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom