How to handle non diving husband who is being difficult....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you nuts??!!

Asking relationship advice from a bunch of scuba divers? Sheesh..... scuba divers like us all seem to think we have some right to be in an environment that is designed to kill us, and you turn to us for advice? :idk:

Some of us work two jobs to be able to buy new toys, and/or to afford to be under water more often. Some folks have gear shipped to their work address, so the significant non diving other has no idea just how much they are spending on toys.

You see us as able to dispense valuable marital advice? :idk: :idk: :idk: :shakehead: :shakehead:

:D :gas: good luck with that!

I don't know about other men..... but I think it's funny to watch 20-30yr old "KIDS" checking out my 51 yr old wife.... And your right Wookie... Life is GOOD..

Jim....

Are you nuts??!!

Some of us work two jobs to be able to buy new toys, and/or to afford to be under water more often. Some folks have gear shipped to their work address, so the significant non diving other has no idea just how much they are spending on toys.

I believe I am nuts. Shipping gear to another address... Hmmmm that's some good advice...

Hold for pick up at ups. Not so easily done for international orders, but it can be done...my husband still thinks i have 1 regulator.....

The key is to have so much gear.... That no one can tell if you add to it..... :wink:

Jim.

"I just picked up all of it for next to nothing from someone who just wanted to get rid of it... REALLY" is a good way to explain that initial load of stuff you suddenly got..
Works with RC plane parts and other hobby equipment too btw..

More detail. Ok, I frequently go kayaking by myself - never a problem. I have kept him in the loop this entire time with the scuba diving. Tell him everything. Obviously he has an issue with it or some aspect of it that I am oblivious to. Maybe because there are men involved that I will meet and talk to. A jealousy issue perhaps. And no he is not violent. I am missing something because I am not thinking the way he is. I asked him why he thought this would tear us apart and he said he did not know why he said that. So I'm confused. We talked about a trip to florida so I could dive and he could fish and he liked that idea.

I have the perfect solution....You talk him into visiting Palm Beach Florida, and the Blue Heron Bridge Marine Park.
There are people actually fishing at this park all the time, so your husband "could" actually fish the entire time you are diving, and see your dive flag the entire time you dive as well....And, better still, he can have Diving experience for non-divers...a Tooka Dive..... see Tooka article
He may end up figuring that diving could be fun for him after all--worst case, he will see first hand where he wants to drop his line at the BHB :)

Ok so if I use the BC and it looks less new, I can say oh I just picked it up from someone who wanted to get rid of it which essentially is true since the dive shop did want to get rid of it. I just hide it for a little bit longer. Never mention buying something NEW for diving, because diving stuff has been around for a while since its not a new sport. Take vacations where he can fish and tell him best spots to cast his line..... Diving stuff should be easier to hide than kayaks and I have 3 of them.....

My biggest problem with buying gear is that if I want something new and flashy, my husband wants his own. I can't blame him though, as this also happens to be the case in a reverse. We just order two of everything. It is not unusual for me to come home and find out my husband has brought home two matching pieces of gear. He knows all the tricks. So do I! :blinking:

This also works with kayaks, camping gear, etc.

There are numerous benefits to your spouse also being your dive buddy. That I will be working until I am 99 to afford it is not necessarily one of them, ha!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom