How to hunt Fluke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dave 69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering the best way to catch fluke. Any methods known would be helpfull.

Diver Dave 69:
I was wondering the best way to catch fluke. Any methods known would be helpfull.
I sometimes just stick them with my bc knife..you can also use a simple pole spear maybe a 3 or 4' one..

Diver Dave 69:

Fluke is what we in Boston call a flounder, right(floundah is more accurate I guess)? If so, my buddy just opens his catch bag in front of them and gives them a little poke. They swim right in every time... now weapons necessary.

Many years ago I used to stick them with an ice pick while snorkeling. But didn't get to bring the bacon home very often. As I recall, I usually had to flush them before I would see them. But they didn't go far so it was easy to watch them settle back and easily slip up behind them. A gig on a short pole should work well.

I mostly use a pole spear. Something in the 5 to 7 ft range, size isn't terribly important for this. The hard part is seeing the critters, if they aren't out moving around they can blend in like you won't believe.

I prefer a tip with a flopper rather than a paralyzer as this allows me to poke through the fish. I keep a short 1/8 inch braided nylon line with a brass snap clip tied to the butt. For ascending & descending this allows me to clip the pole off so I'm hands free, if I have no fish. Once a fish is on, I just slide it up the pole, off the butt onto the line & for the 1st fish, snap the clip back to the line between the fish & the pole. That fish is now the stopper on my stringer, as I poke more fish I just slide them back onto the line & against the next fish.

Saves a lot of time, I don't have to mess around with a seperate string.

Paralyzer tips work well, but you do have to get the fish on a stringer & off the head before you can poke another fish.

I take lots of flounder and fluke - yes they are different, put your finger in a fluke's mouth and it will come out bloody not so for other flounder - I use a pole spear with a flopper barb. I've heard about the swim into the bag trick but if I've got another one in the bag or some lobster I would worry about losing them in the process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom