How to improve position of tanks SM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jawaputih

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I am recently new into Sidemount diving. I got a Nomad LS system and I dive aluminum tanks.

My tanks are always pointing slight up on the back and I'm wondering how I can fix this. Some people put weights on their tanks and others prefer not to and believe weights should be on the diver.

I stopped using the buttplate but the difference does not seem to be that much they are still pointing up, here are some pics, looking forward to some advice.

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 2.04.37 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-09-04 at 2.05.26 PM.jpeg

Do you have your bottom leashes clipped to sliding D rings on your waist belt?

Yes I do, should I change these sliding D Rings more down?
Yes. I normally dive steels SM, but recently did full cave in Mexico diving AL80s. Instructor told me to begin to move the D rings after I’d breathed 500psi from each tank (sorry, you’ll have to convert to bar!). You’ll have to feel the tanks to make sure they’re even with your legs. I was told to move the D rings a bit at a time. Hope that helps!

Yes. I normally dive steels SM, but recently did full cave in Mexico diving AL80s. Instructor told me to begin to move the D rings after I’d breathed 500psi from each tank (sorry, you’ll have to convert to bar!). You’ll have to feel the tanks to make sure they’re even with your legs. I was told to move the D rings a bit at a time. Hope that helps!
Interesting, thank you. I can feel the tanks, its something I can definitely try.

I use large bolt snaps with about 1"(3cm) leashes. I pretty much have to clip 80s to my crotch strap D-ring in the ocean. In fresh water I have to move them there after about 700psi (50 bar).

I support the above answers. I start my al80s directly at the side of my hip then when they get floaty my drings move all the way forward toward my crotch strap in the front. I keep my boltsnap on nearly no leash for the shortest attachment possible. You may also benefit slightly from arching your back a bit more. Your thighs appear to be a few inches low resulting in even higher looking tanks.

It’ll come from sliding the waist rings forward, but what I can’t see is what style of bungee attachment you’re using. If they are dive rite style Ring bungee (with a choker on the cylinder valve), it’s unlikely you’ll ever get them to behave and torque properly with aluminum cylinders.

How do you like the Nomad LS so far? I’ll be doing my sidemount course late this year or early next year in one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom