How to interpret Channel Islands conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there a primer for how to interpret Channel Islands dive conditions, sort of like this guide for Monterey conditions?

I'm headed to Santa Cruz island soon and am curious what size & direction of swells could make for good vs not-so-good diving (and channel-crossing) conditions.

Well there certainly is a lot of useful information complied in that guide. I have been diving avidly in southern California for the last six years, and have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to predict what the conditions will be. For beach based dives I personally do not go out if the surf forecast is greater than 2-3'. It just usually is not worth it, the viz will be very poor.

Surface conditions (beautiful day out, no wind, blue sky) does not mean it will be nice underwater though. At other times wind and swell will pump in clear blue water making great viz. Case in point; we left Ventura Harbor to dive Anacapa in Dec '16, the breakers hitting Ventura beaches were 15' high. The skipper had to wait at the harbor entrance for a lull and then race the boat out. It was booming. We went to a spot on the lee side of the island which the skipper remarked, "Oh we never get to dive here its usually to rough (on normal days)." Viz was 45' and beautiful. Dove the oil rigs one day; dive 1 50' viz at 0900, dive 2, 20' viz at 1100. I mean when there are small craft advisories out, the skippers will abort certain destinations and head some place they can make. For your trip to S/Cruz, you'll find out when you get there!

Conditions can vary quite a bit from island-to-island and site-to-site on any given island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom