How to make a better bug hunter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Up here we hunt bugs of a different sort ... dungeness crabs. Now, the big males can cover some serious territory if you don't catch 'em unawares ... and if they have an open slope you'll never catch up. So me and my buddy have developed a technique we call "crab herding". One of us to the front, one to the back. Since the crab tends to run backward, pincers at the ready, all the "front" man has to do is get it moving. It'll literally run right into your buddy's outstretched hand, all the while watching you. From there it's easy ... scoop 'em, flip 'em, measure 'em, bag 'em.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

hey guys thanks for all the help. i am getting really excited for bug season, i almost can't wait to leave the waters of hawaii and head up to california for some good bug hunting. keep the suggestions coming

I know that this would be more suited to the recipe section, but NWGrateful Diver might not catch it there. How do you cook Dungeness? We have tried buying & steaming them 2 or 3 times, but have never been impressed. Are we doing something wrong?

I'm also going to San Diego for the opening week of lobster season.
We are actually going to make a party out of it with a beach house and all.
I saw a bunch during Cristmas week when I was diving there.
On the afternoon shallow (40-50ft) dives we would see about 40-50 per dive.
I have never hunted bugs.
Are nets a good idea?
Are there any shore access areas that would work or are the boat trips required?
I heard that the rock jetty's at the harbor had bugs but I'm not sure.
I basically could use all the advice I could get.

Screw spiney lobster.. to much work and regulations. Look for the Spanish Lobster (aka slipper lobster). A little tougher to find until you know what your looking for, but tastes the same and no regulations :D

NWGratefulDiver:
Up here we hunt bugs of a different sort ... dungeness crabs. Now, the big males can cover some serious territory if you don't catch 'em unawares ... and if they have an open slope you'll never catch up. So me and my buddy have developed a technique we call "crab herding". One of us to the front, one to the back. Since the crab tends to run backward, pincers at the ready, all the "front" man has to do is get it moving. It'll literally run right into your buddy's outstretched hand, all the while watching you. From there it's easy ... scoop 'em, flip 'em, measure 'em, bag 'em.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dungeness crabs are my wifes favorite crabs!!!! That sounds like so much fun! How far are you from S. Ga.? hehe

CBulla:
Screw spiney lobster.. to much work and regulations. Look for the Spanish Lobster (aka slipper lobster). A little tougher to find until you know what your looking for, but tastes the same and no regulations :D

I have heard they are really good eating. Ugliest thing I've ever seen, but I can get past that when hungry!!! hehe

The season opens October 1st. Regs state that you must have an approved measuring device on you while hunting, and must have a current California fishing license, with an ocean enhancement stamp. The bugs must be a minimum of 3 1/4 inches, measured between the horns to the back of the carapice. The limit is seven (7) per day.

For what it's worth, this is how I do it, and you can adapt the techniques and configuration to your liking.

Equipment. Since I mostly night dive, I have a lot of lights. I use a UK C-8 rechargable for a primary, with a light-mounted lobster gage, a UK SL-6 and 4 for backups, a Princton-Tec Impact XL on my mask strap for a head light, and a second Impact XL for a backup backup. I have a back-up gage on a retractor on the lower right side of my BC, and a spring lock bag on my right hip. I wear kevlar gloves.

(Yes, that is a lot of lights. Some of my buddies call it stadium diving, but I notice they love me when their lights malfunction, and I have one they can borrow to complete the hunt!)

While I can catch them during the day, night diving seems to be easier, they are out and about. I have heard that bugs don't get spooked by a red light, I am going to do some experiments during some pre-season night dives. May have to alter a couple of my lights.

Now, I dive mostly in Malibu. Big Rock, the pier, Corral, County line. Finding the bugs come first. Water temp and habitat are the most important things. So, first find the habitat, then cover a lot of ground till you find a few bugs, in close proximity. Check the temp. This is where you'll most likely find lobsters in that area.

Start shallow. And I mean have your mask on, and be looking down, when you are still walking. I caught a 4 1/2 pounder in water I could stand in. Didn't even have my fins on, yet. Look carefully in the eel grass, if you can hold position, wait for a couple of waves and backwash to go by. This will frequintly reveal hidden bugs.

Capture. I keep my light in my right hand, and the headlight on, sweeping from side to side. When I spot a probable keeper, I turn off the primary, and position myself for a left handed grab. (I'm right handed, for some reason, the lefty grab works for me. It's why my gear is configured the way it is.) DON'T HESITATE!!! Grab fast and firm. OK, you've got him in the left hand. Measure, measure, measure! Remember, it's between the horns to the back of the carapice. If the back of your gage touches his tail, he's short, and on his way to freedom for another year. If the gage hits the carapice, his new name is lunch. Grab the squeeze lock with your right hand, open, insert lunch, and let the bag close on your hand. Let go of the bug, and pull your hand out. Grab your primary, turn it back on, and look sharp, where there is one, there are usually more.

The head light is important, even when you're wrestling with the bug, you always have light where you need it. When bagging, this is invaluable.

Repeat six times.

When you're done with the dive, re-measure on the beach. Ere on the side of caution, always, I've heard it's a steep ticket. (Ask Kyle!)

No snares or tickle sticks in California, the only tool you can use is a pair of gloves.

I have caught 4 over 4 pounds, my buddy caught one 7+.

Good Hunting, see you on the beach!

TJ

PhotoTJ:
I have caught 4 over 4 pounds, my buddy caught one 7+.

Good Hunting, see you on the beach!

TJ

My question is: Did your buddy let the 7 pounder go, or did he eat it? That is a lobster worthy of being returned to the ocean after photo's and not boiled or broken!

My personal rules are 5-7, a female larger than 5 lbs and a male of 7, are photo ops and nothing more. If I ever catch a true monster, I will probable offer it to an aquarium. Oh, and opening day, I enter my largest in contests, then drive back to the beach to release them.

Short answer; my buddy ate him.

Back
Top Bottom