How to make a better bug hunter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a pic of my kids with our catch on opening day of mini-season in the keys last year.

scubafool:
I know that this would be more suited to the recipe section, but NWGrateful Diver might not catch it there. How do you cook Dungeness? We have tried buying & steaming them 2 or 3 times, but have never been impressed. Are we doing something wrong?

How to cook a dungeness? Boil 'em alive ... just like a lobster ... preferably in sea water.

I haven't tried steaming them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

esqeddy:
Dungeness crabs are my wifes favorite crabs!!!! That sounds like so much fun! How far are you from S. Ga.? hehe

Far, far away from Vidalia, unfortunately ... Vidalia onions are my favorites. A pity we couldn't manage some kind of exchange ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FYI: here's an old thread in the SoCal forum about this topic:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t39641.html

Regarding cooking Dungeness crab,
There are 2 things that you should be aware of. The first is that crabs will lose their flavor if they are dead, or even if they are kept in a tank too long. So, from supermarket isn't going to taste as good as a fresh one. The second important thing is to keep the all the juices from coming out when cooking. Boiling in tap water is about the worst things you can do, becauase the lack of salinity will suck out all the flavor out from the crab and into the water. Boiling in seawater is a good idea, and so is steaming. Most restaurants cook crab using these 2 methods.

If you don't have a steamer and you don't have access to clean seawater, I suggest that you pickout a crab that is intact (no cracks in the shell, no missing legs, etc.) and use a big pot of boiling water to cook the crab quickly.

The crab will not lose flavor if you kill it shortly before cooking.
I cook red rock/duinges when I go to washington and if you leave them intact they thrash and they get this nasty foam that stinks anything up and is a mess to clean up.
And you can cook a lot more if you break the carapice clean guts off remove all internals ect then steam them in beer. and too much salt dries the flesh out.

LOL. Last season tickets started at $191 for first offense, then they jump to $660 for second offense.
I swear they weren't mine.

Kyle....

PS, the red light idea works great, but the vis has to be outstanding.

All this talk about Lobsters...I am getting ready for the CA season in October! Guess I had better get out and get all my lights...'stadium lighting' and one with a red lens! So many tips...I just want some lobster in my bag and the end of my dive :11ztongue

robertphillips5:
My question is: Did your buddy let the 7 pounder go, or did he eat it? That is a lobster worthy of being returned to the ocean after photo's and not boiled or broken!
Saman. Dont let anything go that big. Look how many years he got good direction parting from his place, Just to have a big shell eat him,,,,,,,,,Logger head????????????????

Back
Top Bottom