How to make a noiseless shaker...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shadragon:
I suppose another question is what do you put inside to maximize the noise? Ball bearings, lead shot...? I have no idea.
There are a couple of things I would try, namely a stainless nut or a piece of stainless rod. With a PVC pipe, I would put a stainless washer in each end to take the impacts.

Maybe you have to take a look at the plastidip website.
plastidip product discription says DEADENS SOUND
Could be a hint:rofl3:

300bar diver:
Maybe you have to take a look at the plastidip website.
plastidip product discription says DEADENS SOUND
Could be a hint:rofl3:

Yeah, but it makes a fine looking pipe-bomb.

I made a couple out of copper tube, of the type used for household water supply. I used 3/4 inch tube about 6 inches long. I sweat soldered caps to seal 'em up, and they seem to hold the water out OK.

I tried two different noise makers. In one tube I put a 2 inch-long piece of 5/16 rod--working on the theory something heavy hitting the relatively thin caps would make a good thunk. In the other I put about 10 small machine screws I had laying about.

Above water they both sound plenty good, but underwater it turned out that the smaller items make a more noticable "rattle" when shaken. The single heavy rod doesn't make much noise.

I speculate that it might be a frequency thing, or perhaps the smaller pieces are more in tune with 3/4 inch "drum head" they are impacting.

I don't know...I could be wrong.

evad:
Yeah, but it makes a fine looking pipe-bomb.

Very true but then you have to build a hole lot of them and strap then around your body,make some switch :confused:,sure you will get the atention,but if you want that kind I don't know :rofl3:

Don Burke:
There are a couple of things I would try, namely a stainless nut or a piece of stainless rod. With a PVC pipe, I would put a stainless washer in each end to take the impacts.
I heard about the PVC version too, but thought metal on metal would work best. I went to the local scrap metal recycler last night and got a 28" length of 3/4" (interior diameter) stainless steel pipe for $4. I am having a local plumbing shop cut it into 5" lengths and thread for end caps. Going to use 1/4" hex nuts inside my first version and that should work nicely. Will be able to make 5 different shakers out of that pipe. Total cost with all the work and parts will be about $25 so $5 a piece. Will test a couple of different designs (different interior filling, plastic coating, etc) and see which works best.

Thought: If it is in a hermetically sealed PVC pipe why does it need to be stainless nut, rod or washer?

KYDan:
I made a couple out of copper tube, of the type used for household water supply. I used 3/4 inch tube about 6 inches long. I sweat soldered caps to seal 'em up, and they seem to hold the water out OK.
I am dealing with a plumbing shop to get my pipes cut so I will ask them to do up a couple of 6" long 3/4" copper pipe examples to test as well. I am in the pool on Saturday assisting with an O/W course and can test them. Will use small screws in one and a piece of rod in the other. After this experiment series of shake rattle and roll I will be ready to intern with the Mythbusters... hahaha

FYI - I did find the plasti-dip at Lowe's, in the spray paint section. They only had black. I went to Home Depot and they also had it in the spray paint section, in red, yellow, and black. I picked up some red to coat some small fishing weights that I use to neutralize my underwater camera. I will post a thread when I get them done.

Thanks for the info everyone!

shadragon:
I am dealing with a plumbing shop to get my pipes cut so I will ask them to do up a couple of 6" long 3/4" copper pipe examples to test as well. I am in the pool on Saturday assisting with an O/W course and can test them. Will use small screws in one and a piece of rod in the other. After this experiment series of shake rattle and roll I will be ready to intern with the Mythbusters... hahaha

Really interested in the outcome, please let us know...I am also going to try the clicker as noted in post 18 of the following thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=166936&page=2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom