How to protect housing lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

I have various filters for use but when it comes to underwater stuff I leave 'em on the boat. The #1 drawback to any type of filter is +X to exposure. (means longer shutter times)

For dome port protection I use nothing. not even the neo cap that goes on the end. Then again I treat it very well. Any scratches on the outside of a dome/flat port will be instantly removed once in the water.

As for rince tanks goes I carry one of those 10g tubs you get a wally-world for like $5. I let everyone know that is MY tank and anything I catch in it goes overboard. I do let some photographers use it for their housing when there's a group of us. In bimini we had 4 50gallon rince tanks in use but then the entire boat was photographers and we went as a group.

As for using a UV filter u/w it would do nothing at all, it's designed to cut down on some small uv haze on land. If you want to look at filters then look at using a tripod, an orange filter, a green/blue filter depending on the water your in, a neutral density filter, and perhaps a color compensating filter.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom