How to rig a pony bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At your current training/skill set/experience, I'd strongly discourage task and equipment loading of another piece of gear. If I understand it, you are completing training dives, and the involvement of instructors, DMs, and buddies are appropriate for now...

What does your instructor suggest?
Yes I will have all of those people there. My instructor suggests that a pony tank is a good idea, and he said it would be a good training dive for it. Both of the instructors I have had so far have told me they always use a pony below 60 ft.

Yes I will have all of those people there. My instructor suggests that a pony tank is a good idea, and he said it would be a good training dive for it. Both of the instructors I have had so far have told me they always use a pony below 60 ft.

Than they should be an integral part of answering the question. What are they suggesting for rigging and use?

Than they should be an integral part of answering the question. What are they suggesting for rigging and use?
My DM uses a tank mount with a long hose that comes around his right side (replaces octo) and the Instructor I will be with slings it for "ease of use" he says. Neither one is pushing me one way or the other just saying to try and see what I like.

Luke,

My pony is setup for back mount, but that's because I need the front of my body clear for the type of diving I do. However, it sounds like you're simply doing some exploratory diving and therefore I would just sling that 30 cuft. bottle you already own. Here's an illustration to get you started.
DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging

I would also get yourself familiar with "rock bottom" diving.
DiveNerd - Rock Bottom Calculator, Imperial Units

Would any of you guys have any pictures of you with your rig on so I could check it out, or just a picture of how you bungee your reg on and stuff?

Luke,

My pony is setup for back mount, but that's because I need the front of my body clear for the type of diving I do. However, it sounds like you're simply doing some exploratory diving and therefore I would just sling that 30 cuft. bottle you already own. Here's an illustration to get you started.
DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging

I would also get yourself familiar with "rock bottom" diving.
DiveNerd - Rock Bottom Calculator, Imperial Units
This is GREAT! Thanks :)

I'm just going to answer the question you actually asked.

I have another thread on a dive i will be doing this weekend. The pony tank that I want to use is a brand new 30cf and I will be using an aqualung core supreme reg on it. Not that these things probably matter but I have to buy a mount/harness for the pony. I know that this is purely a matter of preference but I am wondering if YOU THINK it is better for me to sling this or to strap it to my primary tank.

There are a number of problems with back mounted ("strap it to my primary tank") ponies.

1) Generally, it is not possible to reach the valve, so the valve must be left open for the entire dive. There is some risk of loss of gas due to a freeflow or leak, and this loss going unnoticed. There is also a risk of the valve being left closed inadvertently, rendering the pony useless.

2) It is easier to mix up the regulators, possibly with grave consequences. This is especially true if the pony is mounted valve-up, because then the hose routing will be all but indistinguishable from the primary cylinder.

3) It isn't possible to see a button gauge mounted on the first stage, so there's no way to visually check the pressure during the dive.

Now, there are mitigations for all these, but they pose some of their own problems. Some people use inline valves right next to the regulator to prevent a freeflow (but it's one more part prone to failure, and one more procedural piece). You can color code the regs or hoses to reduce the chances of a mixup (but in low viz or at depth, in an emergency, you might not be able to tell the difference). You can use mouthpieces with a different feel. You can do things like always use the pony reg with a neck bungee so it's in a particular place.

The only real problems with a slung pony are: 1) that you have to have appropriate D rings on your BC to attach it, and 2) it is more likely to get in the way, particularly if you're engaging in underwater photography.

do I still use my octo for the primary tank when using a pony? That would be 3 regulators :/ Thanks for all the help!

There are several alternatives here.

In general, people using pony tanks have 3 regulators. That way you don't have to change your basic regulator configuration around when adding or subtracting the pony, and you are able to share your full compliment of back gas with an OOA diver.

Some people only use two regulators, either because they dive solo and don't expect to encounter other divers, or because they are depending on putting one diver on the pony and the other on back gas in the event of an OOA emergency.

With a slung pony, you can dive any reg configuration that makes sense for you for your primary cylinder, and the pony just adds to it. This is what I do, using a 7' hose, a bungeed secondary, plus the pony.

DumpsterDiver, who I believe is banned at SB now, had extensive dive history with a back mounted pony, and was probably the cheif proponent on SB of this configuration. He used an Air2 (a combination BC power inflator and backup regulator) on his primary cylinder, and a bungeed regulator under his chin for the pony. I think that's probably the best way to set up a back-mounted pony in that it results in minimal gear and its hard to mix up the regulators. There is still some risk as you can be on a neck-bungeed regulator without realizing it.

The only real problem with a slung pony .... [is that] it is more likely to get in the way, particularly if you're engaging in underwater photography.

Excellent post, this is the only sentence that I disagree with. I have a DSLR in a Nauticam housing and dual Z-240 strobes on long arms, and I sling an AL80. I barely know that it is there, even penetrating wrecks. For CCR bailout, I'm using an AL80 slung sidemount style (something that I can't do easily with my doubles), and it's even better.

I really don't understand the appeal of the tank mounted pony, especially for a relatively new diver who may need it in a panic situation. A slung pony with a bungeed 2nd stage is right there, in front of you, easily accessible. Easy to manage on a dive boat. Secure. Sharable.

And a single tank OOG emergency is a real consideration: Life Ending Seconds • ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE • By Curt Bowen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom