Configuration of a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no right or wrong to how you do it. (OK, if you work at it you can do anything wrong!) Like most things it is a trade off. I use Tiger gear on my main tank because it is solid stuff and it works. I don't sling it (though that is another very good way to mount it) because I tend to be working when carrying a pony bottle and a slung tank would get in the way.

Now I mount my pony on the left side of the tank and have a left feeding regulator for it so it comes over my left shoulder. I also have the hose very differently color coded. This is not the norm and I do it for my own reasons. It would be very hard for me to confuse my pony regulator with my main regulator - something that I have seen others do in an emergency so this is not a hypothetical issue for me. In any event, it works for me.

I agree that you need to use your pony some to know both how to use it but more importantly what it will do. I don't use it on every dive, though, just when it is time to refill it. I use a 30 cft pony at 3000 psi. That is the equivalent of an 80 with 1100 psi on the guage.

Just my $.02 worth

There may be no "best way" but this is one way

100_4347.jpg

100_4350-1.jpg

100_4455.jpg

What was your first clue???
Was it the :troll: or the :) in the original post?
:D
Rick

I have to admit it was just the title of the thread. It seems Pony bottles are the "must have" accessory for the fashionable diver.

This sort of thing confuses me:

I have two configurations - a sling and, my favorite, a strap mount on the right-hand side of my main cylinder (either 80 or 100 HP steel). I dive with my air off when using my sling, and air on with my strap mount because it is harder to reach back and turn on and I don't want any other "drama" in an OOA situation.

So if your buddy needs gas he/she has to first know which way you have configured things with the pony that day.

Either go for the "sling" and hope you can turn the air on in time or grab the back mounted reg and hope you did not forget to activate it thusly. As you stated, it's hard to reach.

>>So if your buddy needs gas he/she has to first know which way you have configured things with the pony that day.

Either go for the "sling" and hope you can turn the air on in time or grab the back mounted reg and hope you did not forget to activate it thusly. As you stated, it's hard to reach.<<

Those aren't the only two options. Give your buddy your octo and then set him/her up with your pony bottle. It's likely to take a few minutes to set someone up with a pony underwater even if they know how to use it.

Just my $.02 worth...

<TED>

It is important to discuss how your pony is configured during the pre dive breifing (valve on/off etc... as well as an OOA procedure).

In my case I would just donate my primary and switch to my bungied back up reg. In an OOA we are going to begin accending anyways so there isn't much point clipping and unclipping ponies. Just get to the surface in a prudent manner. The pony will also throw off their trim a bit which is one more thing they don't need seeing as they have also lost their ability to power inflate the BC/drysuit. Handing off is a nice option though if things are more complicated or require one diver to be able to move independantly from the other.
JM2CW.

I appreciate the replies to my question regarding pony bottles. Also thanks for your patience and in the future I will refrain from using bad icons.

Your collective advice has helped me decide at least where I will start with this issue.

Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom