Configuration of a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't say whats the "best" way..it's diver's choice.
Have used it across my lap..ideal clamps and clips.....and attached to the primary tank with a bag..and with a U shaped bracket attached to the pony with it's own cam strap for the primary....even tried a double strap holder you thread the primary tank strap thru.. have used it up/down and sideways.. right side and left..
My favorite is with tank tamer brackets..I have the bottle mounted upside down..on the left..it's easy to turn the bottle on or off as needed..nothing to snag on top...got the second's hose in a bungee to streamline..just like the way it mounts solid..no rockin. And can pull the cotter pin unhook and hand the whole unit off if need be.
Lookin forward to read other diver's ideas.

I struggled with the question you're asking as a recreational diver, and never really did anything until I learned about stage/deco/pony bottles in tech diving. Now I would highly recommend that you consider slinging your pony bottle (clipped to the D-rings on your left hip and left chest). I would have considered this very cumbersome and awkward, but in fact it is just the opposite. The bottle (and backup regulator) is right there where you can see it if you need it, and you will not notice at all when you are swimming along. Another advantage is that in an emergency you can donate the pony bottle or regulator to another diver and separate yourself completely from them. You also dont have to mess around with clamps and brackets if you do or don't want to take it along on a particular dive.

There is a handy diagram showing the rigging for a slung pony here: DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging I know this site shows the true do-it-yourself method but you can buy premade kits that you can just attach to accomplish the same thing.

It really depends on what size of pony bottle you are talking about... I sling mine across my stomach. I know one diver who dives with an al80, but slings an al40 under his left arm. He says he likes it there because he can always feel that it is there, as opposed to being attached to the main tank and not feeling it's presence. My advice would be to try different methods and find which one you are most comfortable with. More important than having a nice place to keep it, you need to practice using it. Personally, I will usually use either my octo or pony while doing my ascent.

I'm starting to think the pony bottle manufactures are posting this question every day to drum up business.

I'm starting to think the pony bottle manufactures are posting this question every day to drum up business.
What was your first clue???
Was it the :troll: or the :) in the original post?
:D
Rick

Mod Post

This is a legitimate thread, and please disregard the troll icon.

Those of you who are anti-pony bottles? Go for it!

Those of you who are pro-pony bottles? Set them straight!

No hitting below the belt, remember to cite your sources, and may the most robust argument win!!

:)

Dive safe,

Doc

********************************************************************************

I carry a pony because I like to be self sufficient (self rescuing) and also so I have air to offer another in case of problems. I carry either a 13 cf for dives 50 foot and less and 19 cf for deeper. I have two configurations - a sling and, my favorite, a strap mount on the right-hand side of my main cylinder (either 80 or 100 HP steel). I dive with my air off when using my sling, and air on with my strap mount because it is harder to reach back and turn on and I don't want any other "drama" in an OOA situation.

Never - Never - Never purposely run out of air and use your pony. Your pony is only for emergency situations, not as a backup, but as an "emergency backup". And it won't do you any good when the OOA time comes if you don't practice with it.

Remember that pony is not connected to your BCD inflator, so in an OOA situation, you will have to orally inflate your BCD. In an OOA situation, you may have to power yourself up to the surface and be out of breath and find it difficult to orally inflate. So when you practice with your pony, remember to practice orally inflating your BCD and dropping your weights.

drdaddy

Hmmmm....

When I'm solo diving in a single tank, I carry my deco bottle as a pony bottle (just making sure not to go below the MOD of whatever is in the deco bottle - otherwise, it's not all that helpful).

I have it slung on my left side, attached with clips to my chest and waist D rings. I've seen pony bottles hard-mounted on people's tanks, and there are a few concerns with those. For one thing, it's good to be able to reach the valve, just in case you forget to turn it on when needed. If you have a freeflow on your pony bottle, it's nice to be able to reach the valve to turn the tank off. It seems to me that if entanglement hazards are a worry, having the pony bottle side slung means it would be easier to disentangle it as opposed to if it were mounted to your tank. Also, if needed, you can hand it off to an OOA diver, if that's what you're wanting to do.

I fully agree with drdaddy's post. I too use both a main tank mount (super pony tamer) and a slung bottle under my left arm. I like the main tank mount if I am lobstering or spearfishing since I will be laying on the bottom for a good part of the dive. I prefer the slung bottle for general diving. Easy to hand off if necessary to help someone else. I have never had a need for it and agree that it should not be used to extend bottom time. I like the idea of redundancy since I've twice had a insta-buddy agree to stop at fifteen feet on the line for a quick bubble check and had them take off on theit own. Maybe they can breathe water but I haven't seemed to get that skill down yet.

Bottom line-Best choice for redundancy-Buddy with good skills. Second choice-Pony tank.

It's your life, dive the way you think is best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom