How to rinse that BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

olddiver2

Reaction score
OK, so I made a great purchase of a whole set of gear from a neighbor who's wife didn't really want to dive.

The BC was a "never been wet" Tusa Pro. In the bag was a brand new Tusa inflator/alternate reg. I wanted to play it safe with a service and installation of the new inflator, so I went to Divers Direct in Dania, where they asked the first obvious question:" Did you buy it here?"

No....

Well, they were as nice as could be. No put-downs about only servicing equipment they sell. They did the install and checkout and treated me like a long-time customer, for no charge. Needless to say, I am now more than a bit faithful to DD, and will become a long-time customer.

After my first dive yesterday, I am wondering about rinsing the inside of the BC with fresh water. Naturally, the inflator/reg is also the point of entry for the water I will hose into the BC for rinsing.

Is it OK to just attach the low pressure hose to the mouthpiece, turn on the air, and flood the BC?

That should duplicate actual, underwater conditions and prevent and wet-regulator internal problems, while getting that salt water out of my BC.

What do you think?

BTW, this is the most comfortable, easy to use BC I have ever used. It's loaded with neat features, with simple adjustments and a feel of quality.

olddiver2:
Naturally, the inflator/reg is also the point of entry for the water I will hose into the BC for rinsing.

Is it OK to just attach the low pressure hose to the mouthpiece, turn on the air, and flood the BC?
Your planned method is good. I find it easier, though, to simply unscrew one of the overpressure/dump valves to fill the BC. Do be careful not to crossthread the fitting when replacing it.

I agree with Charlie....dont try to put water down the inflator hose...it will take all day. Unscrew one of the dump valves and fill it up in seconds. Slosh around real good and let FLOW OUT of the inflator hose as that cleans that hose. Keep doing it until the water no longer has the slightest bit of salt taste to it....then I do it one more time.

My bcd has only one dump valve so I also .....to get the last bit of water out..... unscrew the inflator hose and let water out that way. Then, I inflate the bcd and let it hang a while whacking it every now and then with my hand so as to get the remaining water off the walls of the bladder....then one final drain. And before I hang it up in the closet I inflate it once more. If you dont store it inflated the walls of the bladder could stick together.

CAUTION>>>>>> Be aware that if the dump valve or the inflator hose is on REALLY tight.....when you go to unscrew it off....you could be unscrewing from the part INSIDE the bladder and that part will fall down inside the bladder. And that is a bear to retrieve. Just be careful.

rich

That's a cool thing abput the Atomic SS1, if you unscrew the reg/inflator, it has the same 1" threads as a garden hose. Easy rinse!

Wow, I easily unscrewed the fill hose coupling by hand and found a huge opening for my garden hose. After filling and draining, I found that the clever folks who built this Tusa Pro made the opening so it's the lowest point when the BCD is inverted, making it drain both completely and rapidly. My old Tusa from the '80's was a pain in the sinuses to rinse.

So, a few fills and drains with a soak interval, and I am confident that all is well inside.

Thanks to all for assisting me with learning how to maintain this new piece of gear.

Best regards

No no no no........You must flush plenty fresh water in through the inflator hose. This is where the salt water will do the most damage. Their is a small valve that will be damaged if you leave salt water in contact with it for a prolonged period. By all means unscrew a dump valve and do a large flush of the bladder, but the inflator and deflator need to be flushed thoroughly first.

All of the above, plus . . .

. . . I dive a lot of fresh water that often times contains a large amount of organic growth.

After diving and rinsing a few dives after a primary rinse I'll then rinse the bladder with the addition of two or three caps full of Cepacol or Listerine, including letting it flow down into the inflation hose.

It kills all of that bad breath causing bacteria and leaves your breath an nice refreshing, minty clean !!! :D

the K

pt40fathoms:
No no no no........You must flush plenty fresh water in through the inflator hose. This is where the salt water will do the most damage. Their is a small valve that will be damaged if you leave salt water in contact with it for a prolonged period. By all means unscrew a dump valve and do a large flush of the bladder, but the inflator and deflator need to be flushed thoroughly first.
The salt water will do plenty of damage in the bladder too when it dries and turns into sharp crystals.

pt40fathoms:
Good point. After most dives I don't bother doing a thorough cleaning the bladder, but I do dunk the BCD in a rinse tank and run some water up through the oral inflator to get the saltwater off the outlet side of the LP inflator schraeder valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom