How to setup a Double Tank rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey everyone, im new to the board but i was jw how do i modify my setup to a 2tank rig? i know you need a manifold, 2 tanks(no shlt lol), wings, 2 regulators, and 2 bands. can someone explain this more thouroughly and give an in depth explaination? or even a link to all the items needed? A price estimate would be greatly appreciated. also, is there anyway to do this with 1 reg, 1 octo, and 1 gauge? theres no way in hell im buying a whole new set of gauges ect. thanks for your help

FYI

im about 6 ft 185

i would use 2 AL 80's. i have about 40 dives and im getting nitrox certified and i want more bottom time. simple enough.

i dive cold water by me (New York). about 55 degrees F with a 7mm single, and 5mm boots gloves and hood. i use about 18lbs

on vacation i dive a full 3mm for protection. i use about 12lbs

please help me out.

I'll do it. You will (eventually) get about 35 replies which will say, in summary:

- you should get more experience before transitioning to double tanks
- you will consume less gas as you get more experience, and your bottom time will increase accordingly without the need to carry more gas
- lots of variations on the above two points

Rhone Man gets the cookie!

For a modern set of doubles you'll need two first stage regulators and two second stage regs (one for each first stage). There is no "octo" on doubles. Your current set of gauges will work, too.

Remember, with two sets of regs, your maintenance costs will double.

One thing I think you're forgetting is an exposure suit. If you're diving in 55 degree water for any length of time (Isn't that why you want to step up to doubles?), you'll be hypothermic by the time you're low on gas. You'll need to step up to a drysuit and appropriate undergarments. Those alone could set you back twice the cost of the set of doubles and regs.

Given the OP's stated experience, I would strongly suggest that his options for increasing dive duration are....

1. Dive more, get more experience - your air consumption will decrease noticeably and you can do longer dives with your existing AL80.

2. Perfect your weighting, bouyancy, trim, finning technique and relaxation. Again, your air will last longer.

3. Get a dive computer and mulit-level your dives, to extend NDLs and decrease your gas consumption in the shallow portions.

4. Invest in a larger capacity or HP single tank initially....it is less expensive that a double set-up and will compensate with extra air, whilst you gain experience and reduce your air consumption.

5. Take a Twin-Set Familiarization, Fundies or Intro To Tech course BEFORE emptying your bank account on a set of doubles. Some money spent here will bring you new skills, knowledge and help you avoid the mistakes that so many divers make when purchasing doubles.

Don't jump straight into diving a twin-set. There are a host of new problems and dangers you can encounter with this equipment. Whilst a manifolded twin-set is 'safer' than a single cylinder - it is so only if you are capable of operating it correctly.

I was once on a boat with an AOW diver, of about the OPs experience, who had done some internet research and equipped himself with doubles. His regulators were bought from Ebay...and not serviced or inspected before use. At 30m his primary reg detached from his long hose. He swapped to his necklaced reg....and then shut down the wrong post. If it was not for his buddy (another AOW diver with single cylinder) being close and vigilant, he may have easily died.

Is this kind of like how you have to build your own lightsaber before you can become a jedi? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom