How to stop rolling to the left

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I don't see any need to add weight to a cylinder, or for trim, when using single-cylinder sidemount. That may be a product of experience, as there are probably a hundred little adjustments in trim and position that counter-act a couple of lbs differential in buoyancy across the torso. I can appreciate that novice sidemount divers might not have that experience to adapt unconsciously to these differences.

It's not really any different to the mechanics involved in a 3 cylinder dive really...and I do plenty of those.

If you do away with the trim weighting, you will intuitively learn those adaptions. If you don't, then any differentials will remain problematic.

Adding a suitable amount of weight to aluminium cylinders basically just allows you to replicate the properties of steel tanks. They'll now transition from negative to near-neutral, rather than positive.

I experimented a lot with different approaches and options; including counter- and cylinder weighting approaches. This included a strategy for weighting the diver based on their inherent buoyancy in kit (less cylinders), then weighting each cylinder individually based on published cylinder buoyancy characteristics. The diver's inherent weighting needs don't change in a given equipment set-up; so it's a convenient solution to have an 'on-board' weighting that doesn't change, then ballast cylinders 'off-board' individually, depending on what cylinders are used. However, I found that putting weights on tanks caused additional 'knock-on' problems for decompression and overhead diving. So, I didn't continue with this method beyond a few months experimentation.

For the open-water and/or recreational sidemount diver, there aren't many real draw-backs to doing this. However, if there is an intention to progress into overhead environment or technical diving, then there are drawbacks that will become more apparent. So, if that applies to you, then I'd suggest that counter-weighting is detrimental to a 'beginning with the end in mind' approach.

Last edited:
When I switch from twin tank sidemount to single tank sidemount, I add two pounds to my waist strap on the right side near my hip. This makes it easier to stay in horizontal trim with no tendency to roll. I don't use any weights on Alu tanks, and need very little weight on my harness when in warm water.

I add two pounds to my waist strap on the right side near my hip.
Funny, that's gonna cause an increase in right roll once the tank hits 100b...

This is not an equipment solution to a skills problem. I have no issues correcting for a full or mt tank. I just don't see why I should. Most of my dives have been drifts so no need for much input. Just fly with no forward propulsion. This is when rolling presents. A simple adjustment, at approx. 20 and 40 min. and I feel perfectly balanced. I guess, unconsciously I'm good for 20 min.
Proceedure, check camara teather, drop camara, reach back and transfer hip weight from right to left, repeat in 20...weights remain clipped, no weight on tanks or anywhere else. I use 2 3# weights. This is strictly for the timed boat dives where we holiday. My wife doesn't dive, so we use the iberostar on Coz. 50 to 60 min. on an al80 isn't a problem so no advantage to doubles.
I can get 20+ dives in and still spend all SI.s with her. And she can see me off and return. As far as anything more advanced goes, I will be in doubles breathing my ballast.
Thanks, Kevin

If you need something to do during your dive, perhaps you should look around more :wink:

No seriously, of course nobody has a problem with anyone using something like that.
Except in situations where diving a mono tank would be the problem, not how you do it.

It is just important to state that it is not strictly necessary to use counterweights and that they can have disadvantages.

Exactly Razorista, just my way of making one tank feel as balanced as two for the easy OW dives with the backmounters on the cattle boats. Lol.

Cheers...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom