How to transition to SM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, of course i will not attempt anything with out proper training, but can i use my single hog 32lbs wing and SS backplate and a butt plate, to use to clip 1 or 2 AL 80's?

Of course you could clip two AL80's to a backplate and and optional butt plate. The risk exists though, that you'll end up on a balloon ride and that the tanks won't streamline nicely. The biggest challenge is to tie the wing to your back. There are various attempts at this at $$$. Bungee is usually applied.

---------- Post added October 22nd, 2013 at 06:28 AM ----------

What i dont understand is why is it suitable for tek divers to have deco bottle clipped to their sides on a back plate wing. But i shouldnt do SM with my bpw?

This is because the back plate divers suffer horribly from a ridig unnatural steel plate.
We, the sidemount divers, have vertebrae, and we love using them.

Obviously, there are other reasons too.

Last edited:
Better late than never - heres two images from a 2 sec google search that shows the tank profile difference between a sidemount system and just clipping stage/ deco bottles off. I've seen a few of the CCR divers i dive who have done a SM course tend to sidemount their bailout and look pretty slick in the water.

download.jpgimages.jpg

Blackie

Okay im either stubborn or confused. Looking at the hollis SM100 and looking at my Hog bpw i really dont see a differnce in capabilities of doing SM. similar sized, no backplate on hollis, and hollis has a butt plate which i can get for my hog, and i understand the taco efect, which i can build a plate similar to whats down the center of the hollis or even correct for it with bungies. And of course different d rings and bungies etc....I understand that the reg set up is different, but as a harness i dont understand why i need a hollis or nomad etc...... Sorry if im being redundant.

Attachments

• 20130926_211701.jpg
    20130926_211701.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 243
Even assuming you could get the tanks flat and level...
That wing will look like this on your back. The tanks are the red circles, the wing is the purple, like a butterfly...

silly sm.jpg

Okay im either stubborn or confused. Looking at the hollis SM100 and looking at my Hog bpw i really dont see a differnce in capabilities of doing SM. similar sized, no backplate on hollis, and hollis has a butt plate which i can get for my hog, and i understand the taco efect, which i can build a plate similar to whats down the center of the hollis or even correct for it with bungies. And of course different d rings and bungies etc....I understand that the reg set up is different, but as a harness i dont understand why i need a hollis or nomad etc...... Sorry if im being redundant.

The difference is illustrated in the post above this one. IT IS CALLED TACO EFFECT, and frankly, I doubt your plans will fix it.

ALSO, the main area supplying lift in a wing designed for doubles is in a totally different place to a good SM rig.

IN ADDITION, the ballast effect of the BP is distributed in the wrong area. In SM (generally) ballast comes from the tanks or is on the tanks... my assumption is that as a CA diver, you dive dry.

AND FINALLY, the CHANCE BROS. will be in attendance when you work at getting your tanks positioned correctly... Slim, Fat, and No.

Do yourself a favor and attend a SM clinic.

Last edited:
And since you are going to use bungees, shock cord, webbing, or anything else to reduce the effect you are also going to seriously reduce the lift capacity of the wing. To keep it from taco'ing will require alot of restrictions on the wing. I know you are on a budget and want to get into this. But realize that once you do this it's going to be a PIA to go back to a single tank for your scientific work. Call me after DEMA. Some things are going to occurr that may allow you to get into a SM rig next season and you won't have to sleep in your car to do it and keep the BPW as it is. You'll still need another reg set up for it but we can work that out as well.
And before we do take a SMclinic as doppler suggested. It will open your eyes. One of the best weekends I ever spent was in his clinic. And will likely do it again next season just to get more out of it and get started towards OW sidemount instructor.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Yup, mine are HP80s and they work very well, though you need to set the tank straps really low on the tank

Regarding the backplate, having a rigid plate on your back may not go over so well if you decide to start pushin some tight places. The point of sidemount is to create a smooth profile on your back so you can fit in low wide places.

Check out the used gear section and keep an eye out on inexpensive rigs like a nomad when they come up.

Back
Top Bottom