How were your first experiences in diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karen Es

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys!

As you may have seen, I'm not an experienced diver, I started diving in 2003, and though I really enjoy this activity, sometimes I think it could be scary and surprising at the same time.
Any of you would like to share experiences about your first dives?

My first experience in Arvoredo, Brazil was with a buddy that had to adjust his belt while touching the bottom, and then coming to surface to add more lead.
Let me tell you that while taking the OW course, I discovered that my ears Eustachian tubes were too thin, and it was difficult not to feel the pressure by simply blowing (sometimes I wondred if I was going to pass the exam in open waters). So, going to the bottom and then to the surface was a bit of a worry to me.

Fortunately, I didn't feel anything, I took my medicine beforehand and everything was perfect. My DM was amused, and he felt very proud when he saw with his own eyes that not only I was relaxed and enjoying my dive, but also helping my buddy with his belt.
As the result of this experience, in my second dive I found a lead on the sandy bottom, and everybody told me that it was said to bring luck!
I don't know if this is real or not, anyway I thought that the odds were against me and I succeeded.
Finally, all the buddies that took the course with me (the ones that did everything right) were very ill on board, while I was eating an apple after my first dive!

Glad that your first experience was a good one. However, diving in blue water often spoils new divers so they never explore fresh water, which is nowhere as clear as the ocean (most of the time). I hope that you will broaden your experience and find all the things fresh water has to offer.

My first experience was in Cozumel, Mex. on a resort course. I was always interested in diving but unsure if I wanted to devote that much time and money to the new hobby. After that experience, I was hooked. I took the O/W class and did the checkout in Lake Travis in Austin, Texas. It had rained the day before, so vis was less than desirable. MAYBE 6'. But it was a different environment and fun, to me anyway. I continued my fresh water diving and eventually got to black water conditions. I have worked for golf courses recovering golf balls, worked in Mississippi diving in the Mississippi River untangling ship's anchors that were beneath the silty surface, which required me to actually dig down into the river bottom. I joined a Search & Rescue team on the fire department I am on. Most of the time it was recovering drowning victims, and some item recoveries (guns, or anything a crook would want to get rid of). I have been diving for almost 10 years now and enjoy the diverse conditions.

I hope you will venture out and fully enjoy your new sport as I have. Happy diving!

My first experiences were Resort dives in the Caribbean. I had no problems, but then I was pretty experienced as a snorkeler and vacation free diver, so the mask, mouthpiece, equalizing - problems many newbies have - were not new to me. I did a 100 ft dive on my third Resort dive, not knowing any better.

Moving on to real certification and safer diving, I got bored pretty easy, and keeping myself within safe limits has always been a personal challenge, but I hope to get better. Safety is not my nature, but I work at it.

I know that many have ear problems, but you can learn and get better. You do have to dive a lot more than you have, but it can be done.

I did a 100 ft dive on my third Resort dive

Thats alright, Don. I hit 100' on dive #7. Both of us have more than one reason to feel lucky, so lets give luck a break for awhile :14:

blue water often spoils new divers so they never explore fresh water, which is nowhere as clear as the ocean

I don't know where you've been diving, but you need to take a peek at some of the springs down here.

My first dives were in the sanctuary out of Key Largo, north of North Dry Rocks. I didn't have many OW problems, but my post OW dives have given me alot of oppurtunity to explore better gear configurations and to really understand why some of the standard safety procedures are in place.

That certification card just means we have the means and the base to begin our learning. Glad everyone so far has had mainly positive experiences. I'm sure there are some other less positive ones lurking around somewhere.

-V

My dad gave me a trip to Cozumel for my 25th birthday. For years I have been wanting to learn to dive but was always putting it off for one reason or another. So while we were down we ended up taking a resort course. We really enjoyed the diving and I can't believe it took me a year and half to finally go thru the OW course. But last Jan. I noticed the shop when I was going to Academy and I stopped in to find out when they had a course. I told my dad what I was planning to do and end up paying for his course also. My dad is my best friend so I can't think of anyone I would rather be diving with. I loved diving from the first time I was in the water but the first time I flipped off the side of the boat for a rig dive in the Gulf I was hooked.

My first actual dive was a "Try Scuba" thing out of the Maui Dive Shop. I was stoked to do this as I had been interested in diving since I was a small child watching "Sea Hunt" on TV. However reality was a bit of a shocker. I'd done some snorkling both in lakes and once in the ocean but when I descended with scuba gear on my mind took over and told me "You can't breathe under water idiot!!!". So I freaked out. The DM grabbed my BC held me down and calmed me until my panic attack stopped, and from there everything was wonderful. Came back to California, got my OW and AOW certs. Four specialities done one more and rescue to go working towards my MSD...

Vayu:
"blue water often spoils new divers so they never explore fresh water, which is nowhere as clear as the ocean"

I don't know where you've been diving, but you need to take a peek at some of the springs down here.

If you read my entire post, it says MOST OF THE TIME. I am well aware of clear places to dive fresh water. Unfortunately for those of us further inland, those places aren't the "norm."

I'm still having my "first experiences," but so far, every single one has been fantastic.

I've dove Vortex Spring, Panama City Beach four times, and logged several dives in Cozumel. I may also begin quarry diving. In between all of that, I go to the local pool quite often to practice skills, work on my buoyancy control, breathing, and comfort level with my gear. :)

My first dive was in 1977. My brother was in pursuit of his OWI card and seemed to feel qualified enough to take me down. Problem was, he didn't have enough gear for the both of us. As a result, my 'BCD' was an oral inflate Mae West that leaked and my exposure protection was a too small jacket.
Dive was at a local river, vis was about 20' and the current was pretty strong. I was a tad over weighted and the leaky vest made surface swims more interesting than would be recommended by current standards.
As long as I can breathe, I'm fine in the water under most circumstances and it’s always been that way. The experience was great, despite being separated and the issues with the vest. I've never been able to get enough of it since that day.

Rad rob,

I know you said most of the time. I am just saying hurry up and get down here. The waters nice and warm!

-V

Back
Top Bottom