How young is too young to take a child to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahh, for the good old days when you could just leave them home for a week with gift certificates from Dominos.

Planning a dive vacation with your first child before you have had a chance to see how the parenting thing goes is pretty ambitious.

I'd wait until the bundle arrives! When he/she is 6 months old + and in good health (and probably easiest if not being nursed), I wouldn't hesitate taking him/her to Turks and Caicos. Have been there several times with my family. There are first class medical facilities on the island (not that I've ever had to use them). We have rented private villas and have also stayed at Beaches. Beaches is pricey, but they really do have a first class "Camp Sesame". Diving is also included and you could go out without stressing about the well-being of your child. It is the norm for the parents to be off resort and diving. There are plenty of resorts in the Caribbean that offer childcare, but Beaches in Turks and Caicos offers both first class childcare and diving. A lot of people on this site turns their noses up at resort-operated diving in general and especially at Beaches (and Sandals) where they include diving in the rates. But if you have no choice but to travel with your kids and you want to go diving, it is among the best choice you can make. I speak here from personal experience! The only downfall, is that you would be leaving the baby from approx 8am until 2pm each diving day. If that's too long for you, somewhere with closer dive sites may be a better option.

. Coating a baby with DEET is just as bad as the bugs.
just my opinion, as a mother.

At least you clarify that this is just your opinion as there is no evidence to back this up, DEET is one of the only repellents recommended by the CDC as well as the manufacturer for use on children as young as 2 months and has been tested over its 50 plus years of use many times more than any other. It has not been shown to be any more problematic for children than adults, looking at past statistics, with he worst case scenarios, chances of an adverse reaction to DEET are around one in one hundred million NOT my opinion, these are facts

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom