How young is too young?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm internally conflicted on this topic. I soloed a plane, got my OW and AOW, and got my driver's license all at age 14. In all 3 environments (air, land, and sea) I knew the skills and the drills, and had the book work down pat. I was a responsible youth and my parents rewarded me with freedom to do these things. In retrospect though there was something very important missing. I do not feel that at that age I had adequate risk awareness. Sure I knew what could get you killed. I could quote you all the risks verbatum - But I had no fear. I was too confident that "It can't happen to me. I'm too good." I was not careless, but I was (ignorantly) fearless. More than a dozen years later I look back and shudder at the lack of concern I had for the risks I was taking. I still do those things (fly, drive, dive), but I am much more keenly aware that I am mortal and the risks are real. If I could go back in time would I postpone diving/flying/driving? NO WAY. Was I really ready? NO WAY. Hence the conflict. I hope I figure it out soon because my kids are growing up fast.

-Ben M.

Just remember one thing--"certified" doesn't mean "qualified".

I would say 11 is fine... if you think they can do the math.

My daughter was 11.

My brother was 7 and did the NAUI course with the rest of us before we went to Soto's in the Caymans. He went to 117 ft. Probably not my dad's best move, but....we all survived my parents.

catherine96821:
I would say 11 is fine... if you think they can do the math.

My daughter was 11.

My brother was 7 and did the NAUI course with the rest of us before we went to Soto's in the Caymans. He went to 117 ft. Probably not my dad's best move, but....we all survived my parents.

I have decided to get her into the seal program and then let the instructor decide if she is ready. I wont do it until she has reached 12 so this will give her time to take the seal team class and make sure it works for her. I think it will since we have a pool and she is a fish. She dives down to the deep end all the time to get dive sticks and such. She loves to dive so I think scuba is her next step. My only question is when. I think my main concern is not her being able to do it but me being able to handle any emergency that comes up. I definitely want to get rescue cert first. Definitely only group trips with her until I feel very comfortable in my skill. Now I just hope the seal team is enough to Pacifyher for now. :wink:
Glad I put the question out there. I got lots of great feed back. Thanks to all.

Stacy

I started when I was 12 and was certified at 14. Best thing I have ever done in my opinion was starting early. Snorkeled since I was like 5 and could not wait until I was old enough to take lessons!

I was 12 years old when I was certified as a NAUI Junior Diver. The restrictions at that time were that I had to have a parents consent to dive, and I had to dive with a certified diver.

My check out dives were held near Buffalo,NY, ...in November of '77, ...in the snow, in 42 degree water, in a wetsuit. It was a dive that put hair on my chest! I loved it!

By the time I turned 15, and my Junior Card could be upgradesd to a Basic Scuba Card, I had already finished my Sport Diver Card, and was working on my Advanced. (This was the old Naui Progression).

I believe that if the Junior is mature enough, confident in water skills, comfortable in the water, and able to handle the gear, 12 is a good age. Make sure that you find a great instructor, and strive to become proficient in your skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom