Question How's the diving in Subic in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narcd_dvr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be in the Philippines in second half of July and was thinking of doing a few days of wreck diving in Subic. Wanted to find out if the wrecks are within rec limits and how's visibility that time of the year given its monsoon season. Also, any recommendation on dive shops would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There aren't that many operators around.
Depending where you are staying. Johan(Baloy Long Beach) or Mango's(Barrio Baretto). If you want to move around in the evening than Barrio Baretto is the obvious choice. Alternatively, you can stay inside Subic Bay Free Port but moving around is really terrible without own transport.

Visibility is usually terrible in July because of the rain especially New York because of its close proximity to River Kalakan. Bring a good torch and you will need it.

LST would be best on Nitrox.
Enjoy your trip.

There aren't that many operators around.
Depending where you are staying. Johan(Baloy Long Beach) or Mango's(Barrio Baretto). If you want to move around in the evening than Barrio Baretto is the obvious choice. Alternatively, you can stay inside Subic Bay Free Port but moving around is really terrible without own transport.

Visibility is usually terrible in July because of the rain especially New York because of its close proximity to River Kalakan. Bring a good torch and you will need it.

LST would be best on Nitrox.
Enjoy your trip.
Thanks, Centrals! Will reach out to Mango's and Johan shortly. I'm hoping to photograph some of the wrecks while I'm there. Thanks on the tip about bringing a torch.

There are two interesting plane wrecks, Skyraider and Taby, but deeper than 30m. The tail of a Orion P3 is also deep. The F4 fuselage is miles away and also in deep water.

I'll be in the Philippines in second half of July and was thinking of doing a few days of wreck diving in Subic. Wanted to find out if the wrecks are within rec limits and how's visibility that time of the year given its monsoon season. Also, any recommendation on dive shops would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Howdy from Mango's Dive - Philippines. Actually July is not necessarily "terrible vis!" July is typically the start of monsoon season. Conditions can be bad...and they can be good. For example this year was pretty good and interestingly enough, one of our busier months so far. (2021 and 2020 conditions were good too, but in 2020 we were closed)

We would never "recommend" diving Subic Bay in July - October to someone who's only reason for coming to the Philippines is to dive the wrecks of Subic. There are much better times of year and locations that time of year and it is a dice roll. However, if your here for other dive destinations or other reasons, put it on your calendar. The trip to the area is quick and easy and we are happy to help you. Worst case, is you have to alter your plans and you can head down to Puerto Galera or Dumagete.. (or somewhere else.

As far as the wrecks go, all of the sites that we dive on a continual basis are within recreational limits. Here are our most popular below.

Give us a holler! (email is below) We are happy to help you with your planning and diving and you'll have a great time.

~ Ken

Attachments

• Mangos_Dive_Center_Subic_Bay_Philippines_Shipwrecks 2.jpg
    Mangos_Dive_Center_Subic_Bay_Philippines_Shipwrecks 2.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 81
Hi
I haven't been to Subic for ages, but I have fond memory of the LST and the New York which offer good penetrations.
But I have a friend who just came back from Subic and he told me the LST is a no go for penetration now as it is collapsing :(
Sad...

Hi
I haven't been to Subic for ages, but I have fond memory of the LST and the New York which offer good penetrations.
But I have a friend who just came back from Subic and he told me the LST is a no go for penetration now as it is collapsing :(
Sad...
Unfortunately your friend is correct. The age of the wreck combined with earthquakes are taking it's toll on the LST and she is collapsing inward. The penetration points are very limited.

It is still a great dive. She is a big wreck and the vis is usually pretty good at 25 - 30m. I love the bow section which is still intact with the ramp up. It also makes a great "Titanic" bow shot pose for those with camera's!

Howdy from Mango's Dive - Philippines. Actually July is not necessarily "terrible vis!" July is typically the start of monsoon season. Conditions can be bad...and they can be good. For example this year was pretty good and interestingly enough, one of our busier months so far. (2021 and 2020 conditions were good too, but in 2020 we were closed)

We would never "recommend" diving Subic Bay in July - October to someone who's only reason for coming to the Philippines is to dive the wrecks of Subic. There are much better times of year and locations that time of year and it is a dice roll. However, if your here for other dive destinations or other reasons, put it on your calendar. The trip to the area is quick and easy and we are happy to help you. Worst case, is you have to alter your plans and you can head down to Puerto Galera or Dumagete.. (or somewhere else.

As far as the wrecks go, all of the sites that we dive on a continual basis are within recreational limits. Here are our most popular below.

Give us a holler! (email is below) We are happy to help you with your planning and diving and you'll have a great time.

~ Ken
Thanks, Ken. Subic diving is not the only reason I'm in Manila :) But Subic is on my list because of the wrecks. Anyway, I'll message you shortly.

Hi
Sad...
Does not surprise me at all. I have noticed the deterioration of the deck over last 15+ yrs.
Seian Maru and Oryoku Maru(Hellship) have been off limited for many yrs. I was lucky enough to have dived those two wrecks yrs ago.

Never dive the Savage because I won't pay helium to see a plane even though I am certified to trimix.

Stayed at the Blue Rock Subic Bay dive shop onsite NO ZERO VIZ dive opr left his GPS on shore took 45 min to find battleship New York

Back
Top Bottom