Humbolt squid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steelfish

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any encounters with the Humbolt squid on the West coast? Apparently they have been spotted as far Noth as British Columbia. Not a problem during the day as they stay deep (over 600ft), but they surface during the night to eat fish. They travel on shoals of over 1200 individuals. Apparently they can also be dangerous for divers diving at night as they are attracted to light and go into a feeding frenzy not unlike sharks. These squid grow as large as 4 feet and up to 70lbs with a baseball sized beek. Some divees have been injured and some fisherman killed by them in Mexico. Post any sightings or experiences here for the benefit of all divers.

I've never encountered one but I believe they did a special on them on Discovery Channel and also something in SCUBA magazine. I don't know much about them but I've heard the name.

The original premise IIRC of the discovery show was that they were agressive and dangerous, but it asked the question if they were dangerous because they were being hunted. To catch them the fisherman use a 10 or 12 barbed jig (think upside down umbrella) that glows. The squid get hooked on it and dragged to the surface. The whole area is stirred up, so you can imagine why they are aggressive.

The end of the show they dove with them away from the fisherman and were able to be near them and have some interaction without as much aggression.

We found one washed up on the beach at Beaver Cove BC in Aug 05. I called the marine research facility in Telegraph Cove and then came over and we scooped it into a garbage can.
I held it up and it was at least 5' long. I should have just cut it up...I would still be eating calamari.:D

U/O

These squid grow as large as 4 feet and up to 70lbs with a baseball sized beek.
Double those figures and you're about right. I've seen footage of them in Los Cabos. There's a guy who dives with them but does so in Kevlar suits and he stays tied to the boat so they can't drag him to the abyss. I'd hate to run into a pack of them without the right gear.

Double those figures and you're about right. I've seen footage of them in Los Cabos. There's a guy who dives with them but does so in Kevlar suits and he stays tied to the boat so they can't drag him to the abyss. I'd hate to run into a pack of them without the right gear.

It just might put a whole new meaning as to what one might do in a wet or dry suit.:rofl3:

GAry D.

I've dove with these in Loreto Baja off Carmen Island. I go down each August for 10 days of playing with these things and diving Loreto.

Those shows on Nat Geo build up their reputations and being dangerous predators. I was swimming around them outside the cage at night and they were curious, but not deadly. The minute I turned on my light cannon they all darted to the depths and would return after a few minutes of darkness. Biggest one I saw was like a 55 gallon drum and yet was quick and graceful.

I agree they get crazy when there is a feeding frenzy, but overall they are mild creature. their flashing underwater is amazing. I tried to post some video but mine are too long.

Last edited:
The Humboldt has attacked divers one very famous (same guy that recorded some possible evidence of a giant squid in the wild), but to my knowledge none were fatal so not sure how truly dangerous it is. I will say as it becomes more common, incidents will likely increase and they are capable and voracious enough to take out a human so I am sure eventually it will happen and make it to the news wire. Right now though when it comes to large water based predators, probably the shark or alligator/croc seems scarier to me but both manageable if you stay away from dangerous situations.

Yep,
I dove with them in Punta San Francisquito, Baja CA, Sea of Cortez side. Don't see them much in the morning but there are tons of them at night. We would go out near San Lorenzo island and there are gazilions of them.
We use barbed jig to pull them up. Sometime, if we don't pull them up fast enough, the other squids would jet over and take a chunk out of the one on the jig !!!!. We would pull some of them up without heads, some missing a chunk here and there!!!. Some are longer than 6 ft, we would just put them back into the water, an't good eating when they get that big. They fight like heck.
Will post a picture when I get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom