Hurricane Dennis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla:
Catagory 2, the cone of "uncertainty" looks to have been changed and Southwest Florida is under the gun. Keep us in your prayers... I'm stocking up on gas today. :)

Button it down!
I'm curious... what's the price of regular unleaded in your area? We're at $2.39/gal here.

I can look out my front door and see 6 houses that have stacks of shingles layed on their roof waiting to be installed. I can also see 3 houses that just have tarpaper (no shingles or anything).

Buildings are still being knocked down daily, and the amount of construction debris around the town is considerable, and buildings with blue tarps on their roofs due to damage are still plentiful.

All of this from last year.

If this hits this area, it's not gonna be pretty.

Looks like the high has shifted more north that was off the east coast of FL and that ex-Cindy is making a dent on the front that is across the general southeast US, which might be what is pulling the tracks back east - less pushing it to the west. Even so, as it stands it looks like a grazing up the coast rather than a direct hit - at least at this time.

As for great projectiles, any chance of getting the shingles etc off the roofs or roads before the winds hit? Otherwise just get the plywood out and hope it withstands flying stuff. When it comes to roofs not repaired, not much anyone can do about that now....

Thought i would split off this stuff that is mostly on Dennis from the storm names thread too.

Melfox:
I leave for Coz in 2 days, guess I should pack an umbrella.
Looks like its just gonna be a bit blowy and wet, its on the "nice" side of the storm in Coz and not in the path.

Just like i think it was around Lakeland (although really Polk Co in general) last year, all 3 major storms that hit FL went through there. Looks like there might be a place around there where Arlene, Cindy and possibly Dennis might go through this year - no fun and early in the season too.

ALL 3 MAJOR STORMS THAT HIT FLORIDA LAST YEAR????

Are you crazy? There were 4 storms that hit Florida last year. Ivan was a Cat 3 a landfall in NW FL, with Cat 4 storm surge... The damage we sustained - quantity and dollar wise was greater than that sustained by the rest of Florida in all 3 storms COMBINED.

chickdiver:
ALL 3 MAJOR STORMS THAT HIT FLORIDA LAST YEAR????

Are you crazy? There were 4 storms that hit Florida last year. Ivan was a Cat 3 a landfall in NW FL, with Cat 4 storm surge... The damage we sustained - quantity and dollar wise was greater than that sustained by the rest of Florida in all 3 storms COMBINED.
Sorry about that, i forgot that this end of Florida dodged that bullet when you guys got it. I was just drawing up the 3 that went through southern/central FL all kind of met in the same area (not to mention the Frances and Jeanne coming on shore in pretty much the same location) and whether that was something happening this year with the 2 that have already hit and 1 that is possibly going to hit in the near future, not meaning to degrade the impact of Ivan with you guys up in the panhandle.

Its a sore point with me... you would be surprised at the number of people in Central/ South Fl who do not consider NW FL to be "part" of FL.

chickdiver:
Its a sore point with me... you would be surprised at the number of people in Central/ South Fl who do not consider NW FL to be "part" of FL.
I can understand and i guess with both those up in that part and those down here, its what personally effected you and your area that is closest to home, hence my poor memory about that event last year when grouping with those that effected us down here.

My mind is also elsewhere on events in the UK and moving this stuff around for the new "storm" forum, i should have been more careful with my choice of words and said 3 of the 4 that hit FL went through one "target area" a bit south of here.

I wish you guys up there and just along the coast the best in dealing with this and future storms, just as i do for those still picking up the pieces in SW and SE coast who were hit badly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom