Hydrooptix / RX masks/sunglasses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shade

Registered
Reaction score
Posted this in the Gnereal section, didn't get any feedback. Hopefully this forum will generate a little more info for me..

Can anyone recommend a good supplier for + prescription scuba masks/sunglasss.

Hydrooptix seems to know what they are talking about, however my RX is about +6.5 and I have never worn (or even tried) contacts at this point so my best option may be the flat masks. http://www.hydrooptix.com/the_mega_rx_1.htm

I have RX lenses glued to the normal glass in my sherwood mask. It's better than nothing, but still kinda sucks.

I have a nice pair of raybans fitted with RX lenses, but the lenses are so thick that given the postiion and curve of the wraparound frame (even with the high index lenses) that my eye lashes actually touch the lens when I blink. You can't imagine how annoying that is!

Any suggestions from the moderately farsighted underwater crowd here would be most appreciated.

I avoided using contacts for years because frankly I am an eye weenie. But I finally decided to try them, it might be worth the effort to try the contacts and at least see if you can stand them or might even like them better than glasses, once you get used to them, give them at least a week of putting them in and out before you decide. The big factor, for me, was the first time getting them out, in was no problem, but getting them out was not the must fun I ever had, but heck 3 hours later, I got them out and it has been easy ever since. That is one idea, and just encouragement anyway.

http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/ is a company I have heard very good things about from their perscrips in masks. Other than that, I can't really suggest anything. Maybe going to do a different eye doc who could perscribe a better lens for your glasses would work also. Good luck, hope you find something that works well for you.

Call the guys as crazyscuba.com. They got me a RX mask and I love it. Mine was easy though, I'm near sighted. I know they have a couple eye docs they work with for non-stock masks. They can also tell you about the Hydrooptix mask, I asked them about it and they explained it to me. Ask for Britt. 866-696-6090

Good luck from a near-sighted diver!

I have severe astigmatism, which can't be corrected using the simple diopter lenses the LDS can insert. I dove blind until I found seavision. They have a website where you simply choose the mask type, enter your prescription (read it right from your opthalmologist script), choose what, if any, type of tint you want, and get the mask in about a week. Mine was perfect! As good as my own glasses. A bit pricey, about 300 dollars, but worth every cent. I can now see underwater, which is priceless.

I got contact lenses soley for use during diving. You can get a half year supply of disposables for cheap depending on your prescription. Then you can buy a nice pair or Revo H2O's for on the water. Best glasses I've ever had. I do know that Maui Jim makes prescription sunglasses but they are crazy expensive (400-500) and I don't know anyone who uses them to say whether they hold up under salt water exposure. The salt water and sea mist tends to eat away at any finishes placed on plastic lenses. That's another reason I recommend the Revo's. I have had them for four years and have worked on the water for two of them. There is no sign of the finish being affected by the harsh conditions they have been exposed to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom