HydroOptix Mega-4.5dd Rx Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope you like it - I found out my eyes are in the range for it (-5.5 & -5.75 glasses) so that should mean no contacts ... and here I thought my eyes were a lot worse - nice to discover :)

Sry you're drydocked for a bit though - I'm heading off to camp in 2 days and won't be back in the water myself for at least 2-3 weeks :( Even though the camp is right on Kaneohe bay... Torture :wink:

I loved my HO mask from the start for its wide field of vision, but since then I've changed my mind. I could put up with the flooding and the constant fear of scratching its delicate surface, but the incessant fogging is just too much. I always need to switch over my old flat prescription mask halfway through the dive, which works for me in a way but is unnerving to the guide who sees me removing my mask over the 2000 foot dropoff at Ras Mohammed :D Luckily I have have good buoyancy control.

I now find myself actually welcoming the flooding, because the water pooling in the mask brings temporary relief from the fogging :shakehead

The Seagold antifog is only so-so, and spit (which never lets me down on my old flat mask) is even worse. Since I bought my mask HO have come out with a new nano-something coating. I may try replacing the current lenses on my HO mask with one of these to see if it gets any better. Anyone here try this?

TIA,

Art

The new version is called "NanoFog"? Does that mean the original version was the "MegaFog"? Maybe that was the problem.

You'd think that the company would give some sort of replacement deal on the new lenses for people who ponied up 200 bucks to be guinea pigs.

It's still an intruiguing proposition - especially for those of us who wear contacts anyway.

fortunately the replacement lens is only $25 - so you could find out if it works better rather inexpensively.

btw - I ordered mine yesterday ... hopefully it will be there when I get home in a couple of weeks. My current Rx mask is on it's last legs...

Aloha, Tim

I really want to try out the HO mask, but as everyone here knows, fit is the most important aspect of any mask purchase, and the one sample I've been able to try on in the store didn't fit me as well as my current mask. Do they have any other styles or sizes of silicon? The one I tried seemed like it had "corners", or sharp(ish) bends in the silicon in the upper left and right corners of the mask, and it seemed like that was where air was coming in. I've never seen that on a mask before... most have smooth curves everywhere. Any thoughts?

kidspot:
fortunately the replacement lens is only $25 - so you could find out if it works better rather inexpensively.

The old style always has worked quite well. Careful cleaning was always the key. Toothpaste. Screw the defog. Bingo. Never fogged.

Period.

Here's what I thought about them:

HydroOptix Mask: thoughts after 61 dives in 2 weeks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was a kid, I had a white rubber full face mask with two (2!) built in snorkels and an interesting curved front plastic face plate. That's what I really enjoyed. Seeing the vast, entire horizontal expanse of Uncle Jim's pool in Boca, not just the narrow 3x5 foot square afforded by my dad's "Pinochio" mask.

It was extremely high volume, unusable for real diving, and the curved plate gave a wide but hideously distorted image. But, then again, that was before Sputnik, the first satellite in space.

I also own a current production AquaLung Technisub mask, which is a face hugging low volume mask that has spectacularly wide view, yet tremendous distortion due to the curved plastic lenses. It looks like an 'eyes only' watersports mask, yet this model has a nose pocket. It was never successfuly sold in the USA and was pulled quickly from our market.

The HydroOptix mask is an unusual item, even for the technology oriented recreational SCUBA industry. It has perfected the distortion free world of wide angle underwater viewing for SCUBA. The absolute freedom of feeling is amazing.

For new and inexperienced divers with feelings of claustraphobia, it would be the end of that problem.

This is accomplished by a brilliantly simple solution to the previosly mentioned distortion problem. The HydroOptix doesn't try to use ONE curved lens to cover both eyes. The distortion would occur because the lens surface is located at varying distances in its arc from the eye peering through it.

Think bug eyes. Two domed ports if you will, each with a curved surface equidistant from your eyeballs. A round bubble over each of your round eyes. No distortion.

Unfortunately, that same class of newbie diver would be ill prepared to deal with some of the design parameters of the mask that are required to acheive this wide angle world. I will certainly not call them faults, as any competent diver can easily adapt to these features, since many current production flate plate masks have high volume or purge valves, and in the past- most masks had both design issues inherent. This is not a mask for beginners.

This mask by design requires the high volume. Learn to deal with it. That means learning how too equalize mask pressure squeeze by gently exhaling through the nose into the mask when appropriate. This is task loading for many. Nothing that can't be learned when you're comfortable with all of your other SCUBA skills. Next?

Understand that the two purge valves are an inherent part of the design. First- they allow you to master the above isssue of a high volume mask. Second- they make the mask much easier to clear of leaks than bothering to "lift and blow". (This method is indeed possible, but a high skill to do 100% effectively- better done with purge valves!)

Some people have complained about fogging. With accurate and consistent care, I NEVER had an issue. Clean the mask well with a mild gel toothpaste, rubbing carefully all internal plastic surfaces of the new generation masks with your fingertip only. Rinse it absolutely clean. Then apply a SMALL amount of the included Gold gel Sea Drops and leave the mask alone. Rinse with cool fresh water, maybe twice or more... but JUST before you dive. Not one problem.

Although they're working on a mask for divers with perfect eyesight, meaning that if you already have contacts, you'll be good to go- the current model is called a -4.5 Here's why...

If your eyesight is a -4.5 diopter correction or close, these will be quite the ticket underwater. Perfect correction. They have a chart to show you how you may may fit into this parameter and it's located on http://www.hydrooptix.com

My example? I'm a 53 year old with -3.0 diopter and fairly nearsighted. This also means that I can't see things real well up close, that's why us old f@rts wear "reader glasses" from the drug store. I fall slightly outside of the nearsighted ability required for the -4.5 model.

My 6 feet to infinity vision was simply astounding. Fabulous vistas at the breathtaking Mary's Place and Calvin's Crack on Roatan. When the viz went to 180 feet over the Prince Albert Wreck at CoCo View... for the first time I saw this magnificent lady in her full repose.

Some users have complained about "pooling" of any leaked water in the dead center of the mask. I suppose that would be an issue if you looked straight down 100% of the time. I have a full fuzzy-faced beard, and most masks leak like mad, but the HydroOptix wasn't all that bad. I may have developed some advanced techniques for observation over the years, and on wall dives I generaly cruise the wall, horizontal in the water column, yet on my side. My shoulders are oriented up/down, my head faces the wall. In cruising over a flat reef, it was bennefisial to look ahead instead of straight down. When something caught my attention directly below, I would quickly and gently purge the thimble full of ocean that had leaked in around my permanent Santa disguise- and the "pools" were a non-issue.

Unfortunately, one goes to Roatan for the little critters. I had a hard time spotting the tiniest, but I could with some difficulty. Once again- this is siimply because I fell outside the design parameters of this mask.

When I used a small 10x magnifying glass, I could see brilliant close ups- even 6' away. Once again- this is task loading for many. I do sincerely believe that all of the pains that HydroOptix goes through to stress close-uop vision testing is due to their desire to make sure your guages are absoilutely readable. For me, while diving at CCV and Roatan, this need is highly over rated. I rarely look at my guages, but that's not the point. If I did want to use them, I had to use the 10x magnifier. Once again- task loading- okay for me, but not for all- and simply because my eyes didn't absolutely fit their printed design charts. If I had -3.0 and was 30 years old... I would have been okay. Seems that I recall having excellent near sight vision back then, but now I have to hold the SCUBA tables at arm's length!

If I wasn't in to spotting things in the 2 m.m. range, even my elderyly, out-of-range eyes would have been happy. As it was, I loved it and continued diving with it even though I had my Mares ESA mask available. I always dive with a magnifier, anyway. You may indeed have no problem.

They suggest that you try wearing prescribed contacts that will make your eyes a -4.5 :blink: This is a hard sell. To assist that newly vouluntarily fuzzy-eyed diver, they then have a clip-on correction lens that snaps on to the front of the mask and brings your (now) -4.5 eyes (on the surface, anyway), back to 0.0 So underwater you were dead on, but as you surfaced, you were as blind as the -4.5 correction contacts made you. The clip on re-corrector stows brilliantly on a custom engineered holder on your BC shoulder strap.

I think they should have better directed the R&D for that corrector lens (for surface use) towards expediting the 20/20 version of the mask. It's a much easier sell for this otherwise brilliant product.

In summation: if your eyes fit the parameters of the charts they post for user adaptability (or if you're willing to de-correct your vision to -4.5 with prescribed contact lenses) this is what you've been waiting for.

It is not for new divers whose attention is needed in basic SCUBA skills. Task loading issues- as with ANY device of this advanced nature, would be too much for any newbie. Learn to deal with a high volume, learn what the real (forgotten) benefits of purge valves might be- and this is the coolest thing ever, no doubt in my mind.

They say the will also be releasing a -3.5 version soon, as well as the 20/20 "0" version. These things sell amazingly well in the Asian markets- and are seen at Asian specific destinations quitre often- where many many individuals are born with this vision quite normally.

Well worth checking out. I will continue using it!

I just returned home from two weeks off-island and found my new H.O. waiting for me :D Tried talking the neighbors into a 9pm snorkel trip... but they didn't like the idea, so I'll have to wait a bit before trying it out.

I will say that the nano-fog is really ... weird ... I washed the mask in a pan of dishwater (per instructions, no toothpaste or solvents). When wet, the inside of the lens actually feels almost "soft" to the touch, velvety or slippery would be a close description I think.

Aloha, Tim

I tried one on at the Scuba Show this past weekend. Very impressive peripheral view in their demo dunk tank. Sadly, it seems since my eyes are "only" -1.5, I need to wear contacts to wear one of these masks. I hate the little buggers, so I suspect I'll be sticking with flat masks for some time...

Back
Top Bottom