HydroOptix Mega-4.5dd Rx Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Winters:
Well, I wouldn't equate it with putting on a drysuit. I'd rather crawl into a drysuit on the second or third dive instead of a wet wetsuit any day of the week. I see it more along the lines of the movie "A Clockwork Orange" where they put the clamps on Alex's eyes to keep them open. But I tried the mask again today since I can't see the camera viewfinder any other way, and it worked just fine. The fishies were happy and I was happy.

HAHA! Well, look at it this way then ... it solved your problem. :D

Really though, I'd rather put my contacts in and wear the Hydro Optix mask over a conventional mask any day. I'll be honest, I was extremely skeptical at first, it wasn't until I took the HO mask off and put a conventional flat mask back on that the light bulb turned on my head ...

Glad to hear it works for you!

kidspot:
Looks like it's still having some fogging issues Tom... or was that just in the photo?

Seems like the reports from folks say they fog a lot more. Is this because it's a high volume mask or because of the material used to manufacture the lens?

This problem was solved with the NanoFog. Tom may have an older version, if he does, he might be entitled to a lens upgrade if he contacts Hydro Optix.

I found that if I smeared some goop on before the dive, then rinsed it thoroughly, I didn't have to defog it again the rest of the day. Just be very careful after a few dives, the coating absorbs some of the moisture and becomes very soft.

Replacement lenses are extremely inexpensive, but still, who wants to have to spend more money than they have to?

Glad to hear they have resolved the fogging issue. I gotta try one of these out and see if my eyes can adapt, unfortunately my eyes are out of the recommended range (-8 and -3 astigmatism I think) but since I currently dive with a mask that doesn't correct for astigmatism it may not be a big issue...

Hey Tim,

I have several of these masks down here in Kihei. Let me know if you'd like to try a dive with one. I've been offeing a two-tank acclimation session to help introduce people to the proper ways to use these awesome masks. They come in cool colors too!

They have a new lens called the NanoFOG lens. It comes with all the new masks and can be changed as a up-grade lens. The lens is pre-treated to prevent fogging. My mask has not fogged up once.

My NanoFog lens has fogged up plenty :D

I noticed they still supply a small bottle of defog with it, too :wink:

Bicster:
My NanoFog lens has fogged up plenty :D

I noticed they still supply a small bottle of defog with it, too :wink:

lol... isn't that like a bullet-proof vest company offering a free first aid kit
with each vest sold?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone would know if that mask would work for me. I need glasses for reading and some reading glasses will improve my vision out to about 12'. Further than that they just make things blurry. My distance vision is pretty good. I tried those stick on readers but they keep falling off. I can see the guages fine under water because of the magnification of the water.There are times when my son is pointing out a seahorse or other small well concealed creature and for the life of me I can't see them!
Thanks, Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom