HydroOptix Mega-4.5dd Rx Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering if anyone would know if that mask would work for me. I need glasses for reading and some reading glasses will improve my vision out to about 12'. Further than that they just make things blurry. My distance vision is pretty good.

Nope. You need to be nearsighted (either naturally or by wearing contact lenses) to benefit from this mask.

Does anyone know if either this set or a new set of goggles could be made/modified to give the same effect but yet not have to use the contact lenses? I'm thinking of a custom grind on the plastic for each person. Could the contact lenses be skipped by doing this? I'd pay more for goggles like this where I wouldn't have the hassle of the contact lenses.

Could I pay an eye doctor to custom grind a lense for these goggles????

Richard

The President signed a law yesterday putting all contact lens' under FDA oversight. Not sure if it affected the sale of contacts needed for these masks or not but you may think about it prior to purchasing one. It seems you may now be required to get a prescription for any contacts, even just the cosmetic ones that change eye color. Of course that's probably a good idea anyway. I know I really want my opthamologist involved in decisions that have to do with my vision.

The trick with the fogging for the Hydro Mask is to use J&J baby no more tears shampoo.. Works GREAT!!! The fogging issue stems from the fact that the Mask is made from poly Carb Lenses. This would create more fogging issues. The fogging issues are extremly easy to over come.

Unfortunately with the testing on the mask that I know of (personal testing) you cannot use fernel nor custom lenses in order to eliminate the need for Contacts. There are all kinds of distortion created when you try to do any of the above-mentioned things. Jon (pez) of Hydro could give you far longer and scientific reason though if you wanted.
The Hydro WIL not correct for the "ONLY" a persons reading portion of their RX though if you are nearsighted (depending) and have a reading correction it could help.

I am a user of Hydroptix mask for about 3-4 months. The mask works great, with great view, actual size and actual distance. The only drawback of this mask is, it leaks. And i have done everything to stop the leak, but alas it still leaks. SInce the mask is not flat, and when you looked down, the water will be concentrated at the bottom of the mask and to prevent this i have to look forward all the time and not looking down. The leaking part is very anoying.

Anyone has this problem and any idea how to solve this problem?

Hi,
I'm a very nearsighted diver and have a prescription mask to -8. The problem is that this doesn't give much peripheral vison, so I can end up with a sore neck looking around for buddy and admiring the scenery. Wouldn't mind trying the HO mask to see if it helped. If it is that good I'd be willing to try contact lenses to take me into HO workable range.

As the guy behind the Double-Dome mask, THANK YOU for all the kudos. For non Double-Dome divers, you may think I’ve tricked some ScubaBoard members into drinking the Kool-Aid!!! :wave-smil

I also greatly appreciate constructive criticism – perfection is an illusive target. Please know that we are always looking to make things better. :thinkingo
Bringing about a new paradigm in diving depends upon word of mouth, not mass hypnosis, so again, thank you!

RE two recent posts (I paraphrase):
Answer: Three vertebrae in my neck are fused with a titanium plate -- fun at airport security :zap1:.
My ability to look downward is radically restricted, but I see my straps / pockets just fine by rotating my head 45-degrees left or right, angling my neck slightly down, and looking with one eye through the side curve. True, this is not stereoscopic, but it works great.

Answer: In one case the poster sells flat masks. Ahem... I believe that "narrows" his viewpoint :58:

That said, MOST who have dove our mask have been underwhelmed by the view if they did not first make a proper A-to-B comparison (fixed position). Even diving eye doctors with over 1,000 logged dives have been tricked by two powerful phenomena.

Over 80 threads on ScubaBoard mention HydroOptix - just use the Search window in the top-right of any SB page.

Thanks for posting John,

Personally I am still considering the H.O. especially considering my Rx mask is falling apart (pieces are slowly breaking off)

Can you comment on the fit for "wider" faces by any chance? My current mask is just a lil' bit too small for my face ("standard" adult size mask...whatever "standard" means) and I have not taken Doug up on his offer above ... so I am concerned about getting a mask which does not fit.

The biggest reason I'm interested is that keeping my eye on the condition of my team is very important to me, and as I am now leading dives and looking at instructing soon this becomes even more important to me. I really notice the narrow field of view in my current flat mask.

Aloha, Tim

I just got my Hydro-Optix and will be getting fitted with contacts soon.

Unfortunately, I am drydocked for a bit! :(

Back
Top Bottom