Hydros Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finsdeep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently switched from a Zeagle Ranger to a Scuba Pro Hydros Pro. I must admit that I absolutely love it. I was just wondering if there are other Hydros users here and what your thoughts are on the BC after diving it for a while. So far I have zero complaints with only about 15 dives on it.

I have had mine for few months now and it has been great. Fits great, very stable on my body and has plenty of accessories for customization.

I have had mine for few months now and it has been great. Fits great, very stable on my body and has plenty of accessories for customization.
I really like how it fits. Some divers claim that without the weight pockets it is as stable as a BP/W. I havnt tried it yet with a weight belt.

I really like how it fits. Some divers claim that without the weight pockets it is as stable as a BP/W. I havnt tried it yet with a weight belt.

I put my single tank BP/W away, no advantage of the BP/W over the Hydros Pro at all. I love the weight pockets.

I recently switched from a Zeagle Ranger to a Scuba Pro Hydros Pro. I must admit that I absolutely love it. I was just wondering if there are other Hydros users here and what your thoughts are on the BC after diving it for a while. So far I have zero complaints with only about 15 dives on it.
I've had mine for several years and love it as my travel open circuit BC. I don't use the weight pockets in warm water and find that the trim pockets are sufficient. If needed, I could use a weight belt.

One recent addition I made was adding a crotch strap.

I had a Hydros Pro but found that my trim was easier and I was more comfortable when I switched to a BP/W. Plus, a SS backplate means I have to carry 6lb less weight. The Hydros Pro does pack a little smaller for traveling.

One recent addition I made was adding a crotch strap.

Why? What changed after you added the crotch strap?

I did add one but I didn't notice any difference and there was no reason I see to need one. The backpack sticks to your back and doesn't move.

I am very curious about your modification.

a SS backplate means I have to carry 6lb less weight.

The weight is either in your backplate or in the trim pockets of the BC, I don't see the advantage of the BP/W at all.

Weight pockets on the Hydros Pro were much larger than I needed (3 lb per side on the waist), so lead shifted noticeably. The material was "grabby", so small shifts to better align weight distribution turned into deliberate actions. I couldn't move the front D-rings high enough.

I got rid of the Hydros and am MUCH happier with a BP&W. According to ScubaPro themselves, the Hydros is designed to be a modular, back inflate BCD. That's exactly what a BP/W is, and I got mine for less than half the price of the Hydros. (In fairness, it took more time for this BP/W neophyte to select components & setup the BP/W at that point, as I did not go with a "package".)

I tried several BCDs (SP Bella, Zena, the Hydros Pro, a DiveRite, and another I'm forgetting) and a couple BP/Ws and out of all of them, I liked the Hydros Pro the most. The rigidity of the BP, but not so rigid it doesn't conform. I like how it stuck to me—feels secure without being restrictive or constricting. I could easily make adjustments and I was able to quickly and easily to don/doff.

The modularity is nice and I feel like as I gain more experience it will grow and adapt with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom