Hypothetical spear gun question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just wondering if there's any particular type that would make this kind of accident more plausible. (Please take into account that this character is not a diver, he's a 40-something bureaucrat who has zero mechanical aptitude, and is in a highly agitated, highly emotional state at the time and is actually trying to shoot someone else out of spite and nails himself instead.) Thanks for your help!

How about an acident with a "power head". This is a kind of spear with a bullet and charge loaded in the front end.

One could shot themsevs with a standard rubber powered speargun it they were carrying it loaded (that is with the bands streatched tight) and they took a fall down a flight of stairs. The gun would not even have to release the spear shaft he could simply fall on the ponted end. But a gun dropped could in theory go off.

There was a fatal accident here at a local dive site where a free diver was walking down to a dive site on this rather steep tail (Steep enough that one has to use their hands in some spots to pull themselves) he some how fell and landed on his dive knife. Yes I know it would not be believeable in a novel but it happend not far from here in real life. It is so unlikey that some peole though it a baziar suicide.

On my Nemrod, if it were loaded (bands) and I were to grab it, and pull it towards myself (spear pointing at me) it would fire (release) if the trigger were to be hooked on something...ie: a small stick? rod? in front of the trigger when you pulled it towards yourself...

Back
Top Bottom