I almost DIED in Grand Cayman!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and that you're hanging up your regs. You know if it's the right decision for you...so I'm not going to change that.

My only thought is that you seem to shift some degree of blame on the shop for them not having told you about certain things. As a certified diver (OW/AOW), a shop should be able to assume a certain degree of knowledge, ability and competency based on a minimum standard. They shouldn't have to interview everyone that comes in to see what they're skill level really is. They don't need to consider that you're a wife/mother/ daughter/etc. in what they tell you for a dive site. The decision to dive the site in the first place comes from you and your assessment of the situation. They provide the information you ask for and it's up to you to interpret what you're being told to determine if it's within your abilities. As a nurse, I'm sure you've dealt with some brand new nurses. Do you try to determine everything about them? Or do you assume they know basic meds, calculations, assessment skills, etc? I know that when I'm riding with a new medic at work, I assume they know the basics as defined by their level of certification/license. The same thing applies to divers. By holding the card, it's validation of a minimum set of skills.

I'm sorry for your situation and the experience you went through. I'm sure that to you it was terrifying. I'm glad that you got out of the situation and are able to go back to your day to day activities. I don't even disagree or fault you for hanging it up. But please, don't blame the shop in this case. They did nothing wrong other than tell you where you could dive...if YOU chose to do so.

Good luck,
Shane

After reading that all i can think of is you may have been best to take your OW and AOW stuff courses again. Clearly very limited confidence in the basic skills and diving so not really suitable to be off out diving unsupervised. None of the above events really should cause panic and neither are dangerous or at least shouldn't be to any diver. Starting again from scratch may well help there.
The sea isnt a calm controlled environment so if you aren't happy with the basic skills needed in it then relearning those skills somewhere else is a good idea.
Wow that is some story..................I am a new diver and you would think i would get out of your story more "diving "lessons but to tell you the truth what i was feeling by the end of your story was more of cherish the people you love and hold dear to them for you never know what tomorrow brings. T o let the people you love know what they mean to you but above all them show them show them everyday..............thank you again for sharing your story...........and PRAISE GOD!

Bekalynn - there you go, making my eyes leak a little bit.
Sniff.
Thanks.

(ps - the snoring lullabye is not all it's cracked up to be. I'm already over it. bruuuhaa!!!!)

It's very hard for parents of young children to be active divers (especially the mom...always seems to be the mom). I think the most important lesson we can get from your post is "live to dive another day". Anyone can call the dive at any time, your anxiety nearly made you a statistic. So glad to hear your husband stuck with you and you were able to come home safely. The other lesson we can learn (if your profile is correct) is that 25 - 49 dives in a three year period does not make an experienced diver. I'm not meaning to sound critical, but to point out how important it is to continue dive education and refreshers. I'm glad you had a good outcome to share your experience and even happier that you are there to take care of your baby.

funkcanna... just a tip, when one states something, and then puts a "but" after it, it's called a disqualifier. Therefor, you meant to be rude. And you were.
You were not there and I was not asking if you, personally, thought I was going to die.
I thought I was going to die. I thought that prior to be UNCONCIOUS in the water, and even for a short time after I came around. To scoff at my situation is just silly and unwaranted.

Davezwife, when you say you are a good swimmer, then nearly die on a surface swim, that also disqualifies the previous statement.

And no, I didnt mean to be rude and im not scoffing at your situation. I do beleive you nearly died. What I was "scoffing" at was the title of the thread suggested something really dangerous and life threatening, not a long surface swim. And while I fully believe everything you say, it was and still is suprising a long surface swim caused it.

Anyone can die underwater or on the surface, even excellent swimmers. It was quite noble of her to share her unfortunate and quite scary experience with all of us. Her intent was to help others avoid making a near fatal mistake. I think she made her point quite well.

Let me first say that if you ever plan on being on the Big Island, want to get back into diving and have a day or two to spare, I think that we could solve these problems with ease ... I've done it before with folks who identified similar issues. No charge, just fun.
This is an incredibly kind offer and if I were in your shoes, I'd take him up on it, as soon as possible. He'll be straight with you and if you're a Nervous Nellie give you support, or let you go on with life after diving.

If I may be so bold as to say, the diver ultimately makes the decision about whether to dive, or not. People don't have to dive, just because they are there. Poor weather conditions and Mother Nature will win out every time.

Back
Top Bottom