I am now a Master Scuba Diver (Wow! Impressive!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you mean by "rescue expectations"? I mean I guess it might be nice to be able to say "I'm not qualified to help that drowning diver, let's just enjoy the rest of our dive" but I'd think your conscience would take over at some point :D (but seriously, what do you mean)

Liability.
Congrats on your MD. To me, way better than DM. Congrats!!!!!:banana:

What do you mean by "rescue expectations"? I mean I guess it might be nice to be able to say "I'm not qualified to help that drowning diver, let's just enjoy the rest of our dive" but I'd think your concience would take over at some point :D (but seriously, what do you mean)

Perhaps "rescue expectations" is not the right word... but some people avoid showing higher qualifications than they need in case they get paired with a new diver (as kind of a baby sitter).

I am still working on mine, NAUI. I have been cramming for the exam over the last year and half.:D I just have not had enough time to put to it. That work thing.

NAUI's is slightly different than PADI's. If I recall correctly, with PADI you just need 5 specialties than can apply for Master Diver (perhaps you need Rescue & EFR, too). With NAUI, Master Scuba Diver is an actual level of training (a class), Rescue, First Aide. According to one guy on this board (thass.... something) who helped write the Master Diver manual for NAUI, the NAUI Dive Master encapsulates the knowledge and skills a DM or Instructor must have, then when DM'ing or ITC, just learn the specifics of the rating at that point.

I got my NAUI Master Diver and it was no easy feat. So hurry up and do it. The knowledge you gain from studying various academics for me at least, is very interesting and now that I'm going for DM I find that I actually needed it, so I'm glad I have it.

Way to go! I know it seems the marketing for continuing education is cheesy, but the more you learn about different types of diving the better diver and dive buddy you will become. Keep up the learning and seriously consider whether going pro is right for you...

In order to grow, the sport needs passionate divers who learn to dive, keep diving and get others into diving!

If I recall correctly, with PADI you just need 5 specialties than can apply for Master Diver (perhaps you need Rescue & EFR, too).

PADI requires OW, AOW, 5 specialties (oxygen provider required for Rescue, and first aid/CPR required for Rescue as well), Rescue Diver and 50 logged dives certified by an instructor.

I was going to sew it onto my skin :)

I believe the new hardcore is branding (I'm there with the blowtorch if you need it).

Congratulations just the same Ken. The only thing I ever mastered was baiting hooks.

Congratulations and dont be shamed. Many people knock it but its a card to show your interest and dedication. You have to have 5 specialties with the AOW and Rescue so its easier then wipping out 8 cards at once :D

what all did they give you? I know I got certificates cards and bags all kinds of goodies so it wasnt really a waste of money just basicly paying for a couple bags which at the store would probably be about 19.99 anyway :D

Congratulations and dont be shamed. Many people knock it but its a card to show your interest and dedication. You have to have 5 specialties with the AOW and Rescue so its easier then wipping out 8 cards at once :D

Very true. Not sure if your comment was directed at me... but this statement is correct. You are continuing to become a better diver and having more knowledge, skills, and practice is a good thing. Keep diving and keep improving. This SCUBA thing is never fully learned and mastered.

Back
Top Bottom