I can't equalize the pressure in my ears? ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may just do that. I spent 8 years in the Military so my hearing is pretty bad now and I could probably use a check up.

---------- Post added March 18th, 2015 at 09:41 AM ----------

TSandM,

I can relieve the pressure on land while going up large hills to higher altitude/going back down. I can't just make my ears pop while at sea level if thats what you mean.

While flying though, I do have to do it A LOT. When on a plane, the first 10 minutes while gaining altitude, and the last 10 minutes while decreasing altitude to land, I've literally have to make my ears pop every 20-30 seconds. Maybe it's not but I always thought it seemed excessive compared to other passengers :idk:

Equalize early and often... When you feel pain you are too deep. I too had ear and sinus problems as a youth making equalizing an issue as an adult. I practiced on dry land holding my nose and blowing. I soon became accustomed to the amount of pressure required to cause my ears to adjust to that maneuver. As you already know based upon your reading that this is not the only way to equalize pressure in your ears, it is however the one that works best for me. Please know that I am neither a doctor nor a dive professional. You should speak to a dr first and then go forward from there.

I'm getting my pool ready now but I'll try that first before I start feeling pain. I've never tried that. I've always waited until it's a good amount of pressure/discomfort before trying anything. My thinking was that if I didn't feel any pain then there must not be any pressure to equalize.

The last time I seen an ear nose and throat doc was when I was a kid with a ear ache so I'll most likely get that check out soon as well and see if I can do anything about my hearing loss as well. But just so I'm certain, Not being able to equalize your ears is a show stopper in the diving world right? :(

just wishful thinking that their right be some sort of plugs/ear covers...LOL jk

I can relieve the pressure on land while going up large hills to higher altitude/going back down. I can't just make my ears pop while at sea level if thats what you mean.

While flying though, I do have to do it A LOT. When on a plane, the first 10 minutes while gaining altitude, and the last 10 minutes while decreasing altitude to land, I've literally have to make my ears pop every 20-30 seconds. Maybe it's not but I always thought it seemed excessive compared to other passengers :idk:

On sea level the ear pop isn't as pronounced as it is when doing it on a plane. It's more of a tightening feeling in your ears because they are already equilized and you're just filling the inner ear with air.

While flying, equilizing a lot is normal because the pressure changes constantly as you're going up/down, it's the same with going down underwater. While going down it has to be done every 3' feet to avoid injury. Even when you rise up a little you'll have to equilize again to go back down.

But check with a Dr. (I can't stress that enough) to make sure your ears are fit to dive.

So you saying start trying to do it before I really start feeling the pressure?

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Start at the surface, before you even submerge a little. Then continue to equalize every foot or 2 as you SLOWLY submerge the first few feet. Remember that the greatest percentage differential in pressure is the first few feet of descent. It will get easier after that. Early and often is the rule.

The longer you wait, the harder it is to do. People with dicey equalization need to be diligent about equalizing every few feet in the shallows. If you wait until you're uncomfortable, it may be too late to get it done.

With my students I have them equalize every foot or with every breath as soon as their head goes under water. They are also descending very slowly in a horizontal position. Like a big snowflake gently drifting down.

This problem with equalizing can be largely blamed on the way divers are taught to descend.
Most OW divers are taught to carry more weight then they need, and dump all the air in their bcd, and being extremely negative, they sink to the bottom like a rock.

As a new diver, you struggle with many things. Looking for your DM/instructor, trying to stay with your buddy, who might be having problems of his/her own, struggling with equipment, etc. Your attention is all over the place, and pretty soon, you forget to equalize, then you feel the pain in your ears.

Only then, it's too late, because you've gone too deep without equalizing, and the force pressing onto your eardrums is just too great to be overcome by your attempts to equalize.

The solution of course is to slowly ascend a few meters and then trying again. But most new divers don't know that. They keep blowing harder and harder and harder, while seeing the rest of their dive team descending and getting further, and then they start to panic. They either ignore the pain and follow and descend and bust a eardrum, or call the dive and develop a phobia of diving and a belief that this is a problem that cannot be solved.

I am very familiar with this scenario as it is the same thing my wife went through. Even after 60+ dives, she still had problems equalizing. When we took GUE Fundies, we were taught that you had to be in control of your buoyancy at all times, even during descent. At any time of the descent, we have to be able to stop, stay neutral, go up a little or continue the descent. And taught to descend as a team on the same horizontal plane, descending only as quickly as the slowest team member.

That was a game changer for my wife. She has close to 200 dives now, and she has never had a problem with equalizing since.

Back
Top Bottom