I did it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations !!!!

That was by far the best statement, opinion and rebutal that I have seen on any board ever. There wasn't the standard arguing based on someone's feeling's about his or her equipment. I agree with some of the practices of DIR, but not all and definately not the attitude. Most deaths occur out of stupidity or lack of training, not equipment.

If your going to dive.... then Dive, If your going to argue........... stay home.

Steve

That's why I like Scuba Board so much. People are generally fairly civil, even in the worst debates here.

Mike

Great discussion!

Irvine's history is the funniest part to me. Check out some of the stuff he was doing at the Blue Holes in the Bahamas. It's pretty wicked stuff, although not very safe and in no way, shape, or form DIR.

Do as I say, not as I do!
How original

Cheers

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
I don't know, Nate. Weinke, Maiken, Baker, Hamilton and others all seem to like what they see. The US Navy and Duke University seem to be interested too.

They like parts of it. Deep stops, slow ascents, etc...

However, those aren't George's stuff, but stuff that he integrated. Some of the short cuts he's been making safely are his, and they're interested in those portions. But, they certainly don't advocate them (but, neither to they disagree with him).

No-one seems to agree with his attitudes towards flying after diving, ignoring nitrogen effects on multiple dives, and some of his beliefs about doing shallow dives first, and deep dives later. (Although, of all his theories, he seems the least interested in pushing this one as valid.)

Please don't take offense to this, Nate, but I believe your distrust and skeptism of what Irvine says is mostly the result of ignorance, inexperience, and brain washing from other dive agencies.

Careful now, you're starting to sound alot like George, and act like him as well. If someone disagrees with you it's their fault. :(

You have *NO* idea of my background, so don't assume I'm an ignorant brain-washed farm animal.

My skeptism has faded because I've seen it work first hand (and I'm not a vegetarian superman athelete either).

Do you do multi-dive, multi-day trips often? Do you fly right after diving?

One thing is for certain, and that is that I have been lied to directly by "respectable agencies". I trusted them with my training, and I now know they gave me a false sense of security.

I'd much rather deal with someone that lies to me and knows it vs. someone that thinks they're telling me the truth when they really don't know any better. At least with the former, the truth is available.

Keep up the skepticism, Nate. In the end, it's your choice who you're gong to follow and believe. I've presented my case about as clearly as I can as to why I follow who I follow (and why I don't follow others). Hopefully, you'll sort through all the BS and come to some conclusion that makes sense for you.

That I will.

One final piece of advice, always consider the motives of those you listen to.

For what it's worth, this is probably the single-biggest reason why I distrust GI3. His appears to be motivated by pure ego. He wants to be right for the sake of being right, and not for any other reason. I don't know if I've seen a bigger ego displayed publically in my entire life.

I'm *much* more willing to trust someone like yourself, who seems much less motivated by ego. You're agenda is certainly less understandable, and I'm willing to give you the benefit that what you appear to be is what you are.

On the other hand, I want to know for myself what your ideas are grounded on. For that, I congratulate you. You've been an awesome source of information. I've read almost every one of the deco URL's you've posted over the last year. I don't always understand them the first time through, but having been through them a few times, I understand more and more. (Although the more I read, the more I agree with the real experts that no-one really understands deco theory, despite George's claim to the contrary).

Always the skeptic!

Nate

Originally posted by newton

Actually, human physiology is *radically* different. It changes on a daily basis. And, as George likes to brag, his results are vastly different than most, according to his Doppler tests.

My suspicion is that they're broke divers, and can't afford to fly, let alone go on a diving vacation that requires flying. Regardless, they're teaching this in their courses.

Even the folks that advise George admit it's risky, yet he's teaching others (both by example and by his teaching) that it is safe.

A precondition could happen *that* day. Slight sickness, a little bit of dehydration, phase of the moon, etc...

It's a practice that could easily get someone killed!

This is where I agree with you, except that preconditions can happen easily. The WKPP divers are a hand-selected crew who are forced to much higher standards than most of technical divers. No drinking, no smoking, and most of them are hard-core vegans.

Or, I'll be dead. :(

Now, the chances of me feeling better for a single deep dive are probably *much* greater than me dieing. But, let's say I'm diving in either Truk or Bikinii. I'll be doing 2-3 deep dives/day, over a period of a week. What George preaches is that I can basically ignore that I've been diving the entire week and get on a plane the same day I've made my last dive, and nothing bad will happen to me. To quote you, "this is just plain wrong". No-one but George and his acolytes makes these kinds of riskless recommendations.

What it means is that it puts *everything* he says at risk. All of the good stuff he does is now suspect, just like you do with everything Mount and Gilham have done because they advocate Deep Air.

Yes, there's alot of good stuff, but the line of what's good and what's bad starts to get fuzzy (if not downright gone) when he starts talking about deco theory. It's hard to believe *anything* he says now. Especially when what he is doing is not only in conflict with traditional deco theories, but even the same 'medical' folks he considers his allies don't even agree with it. The few 'experts' that agree with him have no medical backgrounds, and are basing it on antecdotal evidence that may/may not be applicable to a significant portion of divers.

I've got a brain, and I'm willing to use it. There is no scientific basis for his theories (which he admits to), yet he continues to advocate unproven and arguably unsafe practices to the technical community.

Nate

Originally posted by newton
Maybe where I live is vastly different, but it normally takes less than 30 minutes for my hair to dry.
It's where you live. Here in Colorado my hair takes less than 30 minutes to dry, when I'm caving in Florida or Mexico it takes hours.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom