I did my first cenote!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The jump at Angelita is only about 8 feet or so. At The Pit, you don't jump geared (well, most people don't; there are always lunatics...). Your gear goes down on ropes and pullies, and then you jump.
Haha, yeah the jump into The Pit is like 30 ft, and I guess that puts me in in the lunatic group.

There are precautions to an entry that far below, but it was no biggie...
1: Some teach go drop in with an empty BC so that you will not rocket to the surface after perhaps taking a compressed air breath at the bottom of your impact.

2: Some teach to remove the reg from your mouth, hold your breath for an inflated entry, and stick your snorkel in your mouth to keep from jarring your teeth against each others. Also lean your head forward a bit to avoid getting it pushed back onto your valve.

3: We just avoided breathing until we surfaced from the impact.​
You do want to ensure that nothing can come lose on impact, mask, fins, etc. The cliff jump at Santa Rosa NM Blue Hole would be a few feet less, but getting to that edge geared up would seem much tricker - no trees to hold onto while putting on fins, and the impact area is too busy maybe - altho the life guard there does seem to keep locals from jumping when a diver is ascending in the impact zone.

Santa Rosa NM jump area

7-24-10-01.JPG

Mar 07 Santa Rosa-26.JPG

Last edited:
I think it is much more than 8 ft. 8ft is not much higher than some people and it definitely looked more than that. I don't remember a rope at Angelita. that place looks like somebody's cesspool from above.
Of course I understand. But that's cave diving rules, this is cavern, where if suddenly find out your are low on air, you could always swim to the lighted opening. We all come back with 1000psi or more.

It's not cave diving rules. It's overhead diving rules, including both caves and caverns.

The rope at Angelita is there to help you get out, although I suppose you could also use it to climb down. The ropes & pullies are at The Pit.
I do think 8-9 feet is about right, although I'll admit it looks like more when you're standing at the top. Here's a clip of our buddy Alvaro - from AlwaysDiving,com - jumping in. He's not a particularly tall man. Maybe 5'7.

Haha, yeah the jump into The Pit is like 30 ft, and I guess that puts me in in the lunatic group.
QUOTE]

You jumped fully geared? You ARE a madman....
I in the "inflate BC, clip everything to it, lower it down the rope, and jump" category...

It's not cave diving rules. It's overhead diving rules, including both caves and caverns.

The rope at Angelita is there to help you get out, although I suppose you could also use it to climb down. The ropes & pullies are at The Pit.

Nice clip! How did you put the list of 15 videos at the bottom (when the clip is done playing?). That's pretty cool. I'm new to youtube.

You jumped fully geared? You ARE a madman....
I in the "inflate BC, clip everything to it, lower it down the rope, and jump" category...
Well, it's trust me diving anyway, and the Inst said that's how, so I went first. No biggie. I think we should try it at Santa Rosa NM if we can get to edge geared up okay, then get some help putting our fins on at the edge.
Nice, I think I might join the lunatic clan:-D
Remember - very important: Either deflated BC for entry then swim up from impact, or if inflated then snorkel in mouth. You don't want to take a scuba breath at the bottom of impact then jump to the surface when your BC acts like a cork.

I think that the SR jump is only half that or less...

43630001.JPG

Nice clip! How did you put the list of 15 videos at the bottom (when the clip is done playing?). That's pretty cool. I'm new to youtube.
I think youtube does that to entice you to see more. He just embedded one youtube vid.

I think youtube does that to entice you to see more. He just embedded one youtube vid.

That's what I thought at first. But looking at that list, 1. it has a different user interface 2. they appear to be much more related than the random list from playing the video I embedded (since youtube picked the list randomly....and they um....suck)

Curiosity killed the pig...

Remember - very important: Either deflated BC for entry then swim up from impact, or if inflated then snorkel in mouth. You don't want to take a scuba breath at the bottom of impact then jump to the surface when your BC acts like a cork.

That's a good reminder. I definitely don't want to surface like a cork from 10 feet down:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom