I don't get the wrist mount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by bengiddins
GP,

I did the same thing earlier this year - but was able to sell my empty console with just the compass attached for more than it cost me to buy a *new* compass from an online shop and have it shipped :) Suunto really holds its value on eBay, regardless of what it is.

Ben
Thanks Ben! I never even thought of that. I think I'll put that stuff up on Ebay tonight.:)

You said your compass had "holes" on the bottom. Is any way to make a bungee strap for it using those holes?

As for wrist mount, I found it much easier to monitor my depth and time using wrist mounts. I can simply lift my arms and check things out. Consoles are too large and bulky.

I drilled holes through the rubber compass housing and put bungees through it to make my compass wrist mounted. I switched from console to wrist mount and find it much easier to navigate and look at the gauges when they are on my wrist.

I hear the +s but what about the downsides?

I mean is it not at all in the way?
A bugger when gearing up, in the way of gloves etc.?
One more thing to keep track of?
Scared of losing it?
For a computer lose AI, or have to pay big $s for wireless.

So NO ONE has anything good to say about a console mounted compass?

;-0

1) No, it's not "all in the way."
2) You put it on after you put your gloves on. I use bungees, so it takes all of two seconds to slip it on. You also take it off before taking your gloves off. That operation also takes two seconds.
3) It's actually one less thing to keep track of -- you always know where your wrist is, don't you?
4) Why would I be scared of losing it?
5) I don't like AI anyway.

- Warren

Just to throw in my $0.02... I've got a hose-mounted compass. I don't have a console or SPG so I just attached it to my LP inflator hose, right above the inflator. I don't have the DIR-style short inflator, and mine is plenty long enough to raise up to eye-level. Did AOW and Rescue that way -- made navigating a breeze. Easy to see when you want to, stays attached to the hose for simplicity, and stays bungied out of the way when you don't need it -- seems perfect to me.

Originally posted by NuttyGambler
A bugger when gearing up, in the way of gloves etc.?

Mine has a watch band. I put my glove on, then put the computer on, then my other glove, then my wrist slate on that hand. Reverse order for taking off. Not a problem at all. And by having to put it on as part of my pre-dive procedure, I never have to worry about forgetting to check battery and make sure it's set to the correct EAN mix.

I have my compass on a retractable line on my BC, even with gloves you can pull it out and check it. I would also add that this is why I like AI computers.

Dive Safe
Caymaniac

I converted from console to wrist mount at the beginning of the season and I will never go back.

The compass in my console broke after 15 dives. Those consoles can get wipped around on boats. My wrist compass doesn't have a scratch after 50 dives. I also have the option of not taking the compass with me.

Attaching a console is annoying. Either you put it on a retractor -- which eventually breaks. Or you clip it on and off -- not fun in cold water with heavy gloves. Or, you let it hang like a wrecking ball from your body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom