I fondled a Nikonos V today.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well...I did it.

I placed a bid last night after reading some of your posts and also have chatting by IM with a friend who's done ebay.

I placed the bid dependant on the "pennies" I've got saved and the seller has a good rep.

Now I'll wait and see.

This is a different feeling. EEKKK!!:wacko:

Be warned dont get into a biding war and go over your limit.
dont get disapointed if you lose the bid there are plenty of others just take your time. I bid on five or six before I got this one and it worked out better in the long run I got a great deal

;-0 I've been outbid! Rats! I'm taking cdiver2's advice and not get into a bidding war. I'll take a look at the item in the last hour to check the price and then be done with it!

I've also check keh.com and bhphotovideo.com and have found the used market is plump and I'm not worried.

Lori,
Nikonos Vs are all over eBay. There are usually at least ten available with a plethora of accessories at any given time. I bought my wife one recently for $350 but that one went off at 2:30AM EST and not many were watching it. Expect to pay around $350-400.
TedJ

It's been a long time since I really played with a camera but here is what I learned back then. Slide film has far more vivid colors than negative. You can scan it into a digital, if you want, or you can print it. Colorful slide film has an ASA of about 64. The higher the ASA the grainier the photo. I shot a lot with 64 slide and I think I used 400 negative. One of my favorite shots was on a Cayman dive trip in about 1976. The Caymans were remote at the time. I pointed my camera toward a full moon late one night with palm leaves on the left side of the photo. I can't remember if I used a tripod but I don't think I did. Anyway, the moon was beautiful and there was just enough light for the green palm leaves to be seen.

Film is wonderful when you are skilled in lighting and composition. The best way to learn film is through trial and error. However, light and composition can be learned with digital if you take it very seriously. Digital frees you from the wait till the film is processed and allows you to instantly see your photo. If the light and composition are correct, it will be a pleasing photo. You will soon learn, through trial and error, what makes good photos. Then go to film, become familiar with it--because it is quite different than digital--and get that Nikonos or whatever is out there that you like.

You may find that you like digital better. I have. I've played a little with my wife's and then dove with a friend's digital. I like the versatility and the ability to print my prints. I have a lot to learn about printing but it's fun.

Digital printers are a whole other topic.--hmm, what does everyone use?

rodney

sailor025,

Your information is not fully correct but it was once accurate. Today's films have infinately improved over the years. You can get slide film rated from 6 iso to 3200 iso. I personaly like taking films like TP, TMX and processing in DR5.

Negative film will give you more lattitude than slide film, that is correct. However keep in mind that film is a very diverse tool in the right hands.

Ed

I just dumped all my Nikonos stuff on ebay to pay for the new digital setup I bought. I wanted imediate gratification and feed back plus I went with the oly 5050 so larger prints are possible.And when I ran out of film I tended to end the dive so now with a 256 card my bottom time will be longer I think.Just got the setup and will try it out in three weeks in Bonaire, I hope I will be happy? And have the thing figured out by then.

Rodney,

I used a NikV last month in Nikon School and really liked it. My buddy was on the trip with me and he's already invested in a secondhand outfit from an acquatiance and I hope to luck out soon myself. It's beneficial for me right now to go with Nikonos so that we can share lens etc. I just hope I hit some luck soon!

Digital may be in my future, but not right away.

I too have a nikonos v and love it. I would have to agree with those who feel that film is very versatile. When I get the film developed I pay the few extra bucks to have them put the photos on cd so that I have a digital copy as well as negatives and prints. I do have to admit it sucks having to wait for film to get developed but in my opinion the pics from film are much better quality than digital especially if you intend to blow up any of those killer photos you may take. My vote is for the nikonos. Whatever you choose, good luck and have fun with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom