I fondled a Nikonos V today.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my Nik V too, and the satisfaction of seeing a shot that's come out well when the slides are developed seems to please me more than the shoot, check, delete of digital would. The picture quality is generally better too, not just because of the resolution limits on digital but also because of the optic qualities of the lenses, particularly those made for u/w.

A few frustrations I have - wide angle is tricky. Focus by distance can be a pain to get the hang of, and not being SLR, there is the parallax issue too (what you see through the viewfinder is not exactly whatt he camera sees). Macro is easier, because the exposure, distance, focus, is all taken care of. But, unlike digital or housed SLR, you need to get the framer almost touching the subject, which makes some subjects skittish. Try getting christmas tree and feather worms before they close - you will improve your hovering skills!

The main benefit over a housed SLR, apart from cost, is the size - easier to carry, and for someone with tiny hands like me, easier to use too.

If you want to see some Nik V examples, check out my webpage (link in profile) - all but the early Australia shots are Nik V (those are Seas & Sea MX10).

Hello,

One of the best things I learned was developing b/w film myself. You have superior quality control over any lab because you do it the way you want. There's no waiting and extra cost involved. It takes a good 15 mins per roll plus the scan time. I have a film scanner, minolta dual scan II. You can get the III for $300ish.

The only drawback to the nik is with the stock lens you can not do over/under because of the IC on the lens, underwater only (15mm and 20mm).

Ed

blacknet once bubbled...
The only drawback to the nik is with the stock lens you can not do over/under because of the IC on the lens, underwater only (15mm and 20mm).

What is IC?

I have a Nik V and have taken land photos with the stock lens with which it came with no (to me) noticible adverse effects.

Hello,

IC is the coating on the inside of the lens. If your using the 35mm and 80mm lens then you can use them on land. However, if your using the 15mm or 20mm then you must be in water for the lens to focus correctly.

Ed

Well, I did it!

I won a bid on a mint Nikonos V with new SB105 Strobe, 28mm lens and Helix framers. Yipppeeeee! It's being shipped tomorrow. I can't wait! First thing I'm going to do tho is send it off for it's annual and then woohoooo I'm off clicking!

I also ordered a used 35mm lens (I kayak) and a 20mm lens from KEH.com to add to my setup. My only goal now is the nifty 15mm lens....watching KEH.com for that and maybe I'll get lucky!

I guess I need to get the website info to store my pics so I can post some here!

Thanks for all your help!

Lori

Hello,

CONGRATS! Welcome to the elite club of nikonos owners. :)

The 20mm lens is a VERY good lens to own. Best investment i've made. I would not bother with the framer for the 20mm but would recomend one with the 15mm. Use of the 15mm needs one and the 20mm you can get by with out. I use the water pistol method with my 20mm and it's awsome.

I don't have the 28mm but I do have the 35mm and 80mm. the 28mm is so close to the 35mm it's not practical unless your tubes/framers needs the 35mm. I also wouldn't bother getting the 80mm unless your doing land stuff.

One thing that helps alot is the ikelite kit and the N5 tray. The 'kit' consists of a rapid winder block that fits over the winder and lets you grasp it better, i.e. gloves. the tray allows you to hold it better w/out getting finger/hand cramps.

Ed

blacknet once bubbled...
...I use the water pistol method with my 20mm and it's awsome.

Ed...would explain the water pistol method? I'm sure it's different than my imagination! :wink:

Hello,

The water pistol method is where you take the camera and put it in the center of your image, use your wrist to fix the corners of the image, and snap the photo. It's quick and very effective. With a wide angle lens you have alot of play to work with.

This will work with the 15mm as well but the problem with the 15 is ppl will have the wrong distance from their subject, why a framer helps alot with the 15mm.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom