I got bent without reason

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amnbowser

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I wasn't gonig to do this but a buddy of mine told me I should so I am going to. I am sure I will get blasted. I am sure there will be someone that was just like me 2 days ago. Who has the thought process that you have to do something wrong to get bent and "what an idiot" will be the first thought through your head. Sometimes there is this little thing called karma and every now and then it kicks you in the balls are whatever else you want to call it but this is my story and I will share it. If it changes just one persons perspective it will have been worth the post.

It all started saturday nice day out 1-2 footers crappy vis but managable with the hope of finding fish. I dove 2 dives with 1:15 minute surface interval both dives in the 65 foot range. I had no problems did 3 minute safety stops surfaced with over 500psi in my tank and never pissed my computer of I guess it the right way to put it. I felt great I went to a friends house for the night ate a good supper and never had an ounce of alchol. The next morning me and my frined decided to do another two dives and do some fishing. We headed out to the first dive which was 73ft everything went smooth in fact I decided to cut the dive earlier then normal due to that fact that there just wasn't much more for me to see. I performed my 3 minute stop and surfaced with about 750 psi. Next we decided to fish which gave me a 2:55 minute surface interval. The next dive was 75 feet never did anything wrong did a 4 minute safety stop cause I was just gocking around and had plenty of air so why not. I felt great.

We got back to shore and the fun began I cleaned my boat and gear and started on my way home 2:30 drive I felt great. Got home cooked up to two shovel noses we had got and sat down to eat. THIS IS WHEN IT STARTED. My knee started to hurt I thought how in the heck so I ignored it not even thinking about it I went to bed. I slept like crap it just kept getting worse. I woke up at 6 and my knee was the size of a baseball I thought to my self holy @#$%. I called a friend and asked him dude we didn't do anything crazy yesterday did we he reasured me. So I went and got my computer verifyed my profile and called DAN. I still thought there is no way I can have DCS. But the Dan doc told me to go to the ER just to make sure even though he doubted it was DCS. I arived at the ER I had to be wheeled in of course the nurse said what is DCS I told her and it seemed to motivate them a little. Next thing I know the doc comes in tells me he has talked to Dan and that I had two options go to the chamber which is only 15 min away or wait and see what happens with ice and heat and asprin. I figured well I am not bent so I will take the later but then he makes the statement if you were in hati then you should wait it out but heck you are only 15 min away and they can get you right in. I thought man this is so damn embarasing I am not bent quite being a Pu@#y and suck it up but my wife and kids were there in the back of my head so I decided to go. I show up at the decompression chamber and the lady at the front desk says you must be our diver I look at her like how the heck do you know that and she says because most of our patients aren't young. The doctor comes in and tells me he isn't so sure that I am bent but I will know shortly when I am on 100% O2 and I hit 60ft. So in I go the guy ask me what I like to whatch and I say anything so he puts on ESPN. Down I go man what a feeling just like diving but without water and I hit 60 ft HOLY CRAP pain goes down 75% instantly it was absolutly amasing. I do a table 5 spend 2:30 in there whatching ESPN wow can't believe bilicheck went for it. Well the moral of the story is I was bent no doubt about it. I went there barely able to walk and got out walking. I can't dive for 60 days and I am probablly going back tommorow for a 90 min ride to make sure its all gone. I can't find anything I did wrong yet I am still second guessing my self. I will not lye I thought if you got bent you were and idiot and you must have done something wrong and sometimes this is the case. But then there is that time I guess where karma smacks you in the head and it just happens.

CONCLUSSION what did I learn. I learned that if you go diving and you get a symptom with in 24-48 hours take your ass to the doctor. I learned that DAN insurance is not just that it is the most important piece of dive gear you can own. Buy it before you buy a reg a bc a tank anything. I dive a 19cf pony but in the end DAN is the big OH )*&& button and trust me they will be there when you need them. I am sure there is some reason I got bent but I am yet to find it and the doctors and my dive buddy haven't. I just hope after reading this that if you ever are in a position where you think just maybe you are bent that you don't give a crap about the cost what people will think and that little BasOUrd in the back of your head telling you to suck it up are that you aren't. Just do whats best for your health life is more important that anything. God Bless

Thanks for sharing your story. There is still so little known about DCS and why people who do everything right still get it, and others that are Darwin Award competitors that escape it doing everything wrong! It took a lot of courage for you to post this, and I commend you for it. It's a reminder that we all are playing in an environment not meant for us, and as long as we know the possible consequences and are willing to accept them, we are not always going to come out unscathed. It's a risk we all take, and hopefully take all precautions to minimize DCS, but it's not always possible. Glad everything turned out well for you!

Thanks for posting. It is probably a worthwhile read, but I don't have the time or patience to labor through it right now. If somebody has the time to edit it, I'd appreciate it.

Your right.... Sometimes we just get kicked in the balls! Don't kick yourself over it. Thanks for sharing.... See you in 90 days!:wink:

Glad to see things are going to be OK.......Couple questions if you don't mind,(1) What's your age & (2) any chance you were/got dehydrated over the course of Friday. Saturday &/or Sunday???.....Reason I ask about dehydration, had a friend bend about 10 years ago on a (2nd of the day) 35' for about 30 minute dive---his resulted from being dehydrated between dive 1 & 2---btw, 1st dive was unremarkable ie all parameters well within normal safe limits.....Good luck in your future diving, sometimes 2 & 2 do not add up to 4....

Thank you for your post. You seemed to have followed all the rules, so I'd chalk this up as an undeserved hit. It is a reminder to all of us that everything we do - all the rules/recommendations/habits/policies - to minimize the risks do just that - minimize the risk. We all take a risk everytime we enter the water. We play against the law of averages, and this is a reminder that even when you do everything by the book, the law of averages can sneak up and bite you in the a**......:(

Glad your feeling better - get back in the water when the Doc says it is ok.

And ya, if it were me, with those conservative dive profiles, I'd probably be in the same state of denial as you were......:D

Back
Top Bottom