I have beat the odds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could've chosen better gear - I bet your trim and bouyancy were terrible. I hope you weren't wearing a wetsuit with that rig!

hmm ... all that stuff is fine, no one will tell you you're going to die using it (I realize you're using hyperbole for comic effect)

the only thing I wouldn't feel comfortable with is not having an SPG, but that's because I've never used an AI computer.

i'm sure the odds for the AI to fail are infinitesimal.

now as for looking like a

:dork2:

you're on your own.

:wink:

An AI computer is fine. Backup SPG is unnecessary unless you get a real POS. Plus they tend to relieve any back pain caused by the bulge of cash in you back pocket; if that was still a problem after those split fins.

Just say "no" to split fins. And stay off my boat.

An AI computer is fine. Backup SPG is unnecessary unless you get a real POS. Plus they tend to relieve any back pain caused by the bulge of cash in you back pocket

man, and all this time I thought AI comps had no proven health benefits

I have done my last 123 out of 127 dives with Scubapro split max jet fins, an Aqualung Balance bcd and not a BP/w and an AI computer without a spg. Though after reading SB I thought I was risking it all I have lived to tell the tale. I think I might be living on borrowed time though.

Thank GOD!

I am not the only one! :dork2::dork2:need to stick together!

I admitted on one thread that I was too old and cheap to go for another fad (no matter how brilliant and versatile the fad is) and was flambéed, sautéed, baked, broiled, fried, and barbecued over my :dork2: statement.

I was at my LDS, and in a shocked tone, I told the kid behind the counter that I was amazed that Oceanic still makes my GT3/CDX5 regulator set. The kid, with dropped jaw and horrified expression, asked if that rig breaths OK at depth!?!?!?... I told him that it breathes great and is adjustable underwater. No breathing effort at all.

He looked at the reg in amazement and said: Really!

After being shamed like that, I should have handed him my credit card and told him to give me the latest and greatest! But, I didn't (again, I am too cheap and too old!). I knew I would have bought a BP/w with all the bells-and-whistles had I fallen for that shiny new Scuba Pro or Aqua Lung (hell, I should have bought one of those techie rigs).

I am a dork and proud of it.

markm

PS: I have a zero balance on all my credit cards and I dived Monterey last weekend. I think I will dive Rubicon Wall next weekend.

---------- Post added September 4th, 2015 at 04:17 PM ----------

man, and all this time I thought AI comps had no proven benefits!

Hi H2Andy,

I must be a triple :dork2:.

I was trying to buy one of the last Pro Plus V2.1 computers, but I failed. Leisure Pro must have finally run-out of the discontinued V2.1 AI PDC (very large font--for us old visually impaired folks) as they sent me a brand new Pro Plus V3.

How :dork2:is that! I bought a brand new AI PDC (at closeout prices)!

I am two-blocking the :dork2:meter.

markm

PS: It arrived in the mail last Monday...
I feel guilty that I did not buy it from my LDS, but they did not have anymore V2.1 units.

Split fins or not. Its a choice you make for the dive you are doing. I was happy at one time with splits. Then I went to either coz or beliez and have not used then since. Had a buddy needed me I could not have fought the current to render assistance. Some times you have to think of others for validation of what is good or not.

You cannot possibly dive without a petrel. Even riding on the boat without one will probably cause you great harm.

You cannot possibly dive without a petrel. Even riding on the boat without one will probably cause you great harm.

Not just one. You need two...one in guage mode for a backup. Remember one is none, two is one...

This needs to be moved to the accidents and incidents section.

Right in the near misses and lessons learned....well maybe not lessons learned but near miss anyway!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom