I made newbie mistakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good post. We all make mistakes and the good ones learn from them.
Try buying a mini-retractor and clip you guages to it - I like it....Keeps the guages out of the way right off the bat, they are always handy, never drag.....
BTW - I jumped on a dive boat once without my reg in my mouth - won't make that mistake again!:dork2:

Reading all of our little oops just reminded me of when I did a shore entry, during one of my kid's AOW training dives, finished checking my son and daughter's gear, and did my own final gear check, but when I went to don the mask my eyeglasses were still on my face. As I had no way to stow them safely, and I needed them badly to drive home, I had to make the trek back to shore. At least it was a lake dive with no surf, but it was a long walk ad I felt about two inches tall at that point, and had to take a lot of ribbing all weekend.

Just a thought - could you have untucked the gauge without undoing the cummerbund? The rig I use scallop diving is simply a steel HP100 on a plastic backplate over a Jetsuit drysuit. Just an old Poseidon Cyklon and an SPG, nothing else. To keep it from dangling and to know where to grab it (you learn quickly not to tilt your head forward in a Jetsuit, or you get icy water down the back of your neck), I just tuck it under the waistband. Easy enough to reach down, grab it, and bring it up in front of me. Granted, this is just a brass-and-glass type deal (plastic-and-plastic in this case) on a VERY simple rig with only two shoulder straps and a waist strap, no wings or pads or anything, but would it have been feasible on your rig to just pull it through without undoing the waistband?

Here is what I have done. I am diving with my 17 year old daughter, and like most 17 year olds, she is invincable and can be impatient (according to me). I took a page from my pilot traing and made a waterproof check list. (just a piece of overhead stock printed on a lazerjet) I have yet to see if the seawater will wash it away. Please all you experienced guys feel free to suggest new things and then make me print new ones

Check List (after being completely Dressed)

1. Exposure - Wetsuit zipped and comfortable
  2. BCD Check - Air in the bladder, All buckles, weights secure
  3. Weight belt (if used) - Check right hand release
  4. Computer - On and set for type of dive. Check Buddy transmission
  5. Tank Valve - Turned On, Check pressure on DC
  6. Regs and Octo - Take Breath Reg, buddy's Octo. Reg set for descent or swim
  7. Mask - Defogged, snorkle on the left side
  8. Fins - Straps tightenend (Check again before hitting water)
  9. Review - Dive Plan Quick Review
  10. Orientation - Remember/write down landmark on slate
  11. Final OK's

This is a small card I plan to place in our BCD pockets along with the DC quick ref card. Its not the BWRAF we were taught, but if we read it off the card, there are no mistakes.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom