I need a Dive Computer! Advice please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, why is it, "recently certified diver" that you think you need to buy a computer?

Right now, I mean.

Vicente:
So, why is it, "recently certified diver" that you think you need to buy a computer?

Interesting question.

May be he just "wants" one.

It would be interesting to hear what the original poster is looking for and why. Indulge me here.

99% of us work from limited budgets. It would make sense to inquire whether they actually "need" a computer, or not. You may think this trivial. If you are a salesman it certainly gets in the way of making a sale. .

Personally I chose to buy very little initially, and spend my budget on going diving. For those of us who want to go diving and do it in better comfort and safety, there's a lot more to it that whipping out the credit-card frequently. By the time I hit 50 dives, my air consumption was low enough to justify a dive computer as a benefit. Before that point it would have just been a gadget that cut into my funding for ACTUALLY DIVING frequently. Better I thought to go every 2-6 weeks and KISS. The $250+ I would have spent on a dive computer bought more dives instead.

But that was the way I chose to do it. It's interesting to me to see what new divers think they need, and why they think that. It's a free country, they can buy a platinum-plated Suunto D9 for all I care.

I recently came back from a diving holiday. I had the idea in my head that the less I spend on kit the more I can spend on actual diving. Besides, my dive centre hires me their equipment very reasonably priced so why bother lugging all that stuff, especially with airlines reducing weight allowances (europe, rest of world more than USA).

On the 2nd dive, while we were doing the safety stop as directed by my guide, I noticed that the rented pressure/depth gauge was showing us at 0metres, surface! I then asked to look at my buddy's computer, and it showed 5 metres, as did the guide's.

I asked to change my unit and they gave me a replacement from their stock. Lo and behold, same problem as the previous one!!! At least this one was reading the air right.

So, after doing some incredible diving, I am left unsure as to how much air was consumed by my dives. Fortunately, I got the downtime and temp and other information from my buddy and guide who both had their OWN computer.

In retrospect, I would have bought a computer even before I bought my mask. I feel that this one piece of technology is my best friend in diving, not the guide, not the dive centre, not any other piece of kit! I would have been able to monitor my dives, air usage, total dive time, and all the other measurements these wonderful little gadgets perform.

So, I would conclude that the OP is making a wise investment in his own safety, and therefore should be commended, not discouraged from buying one.

Happy diving

I have to agree with the previous posters, you really do not need a dive computer if starting out. You should really get to know how to use the tables first. There is nothing magical about nitrox, you can use nitrox tables or air tables as long as you pay attention to your depth and PO2 load.

The DIR people actually advise against a computer computer for various reasons. You can do a search and see their reasons why. I am not a DIR diver but have read their books and I have to admit most of their recommendations make perfect sense. You should read their materials before you buy anything. You are probably better off putting your money into better regulators, a better BC, or diving.

Personally, I have an Oceanic Datamax plus which I bought several years ago but never used. I never seen the reason because most of my dives are well within the no deco limit. I bought it because it was a good deal and once on a dive I would have appreciated one because the dive master gave very vague advice and I found myself off the dive plan.

Most computers are "puck" models and can be wrist mounted or used in a console. The console is just a block of rubber which holds the gauges. You can add or subtract gauges if you like. For example, you can pop out the depth gauge and replace it with a computer at a latter date. You can even remove all the gauges if you want and go with wrist mounts.

I would recommend 2 things, first, find a computer where the batteries are user replaceable, so you do not need to send it back to the manf for battery replacement. My batteries die on the Dataplus every year even though I never used it. Second, use a shorter HP hose if you decide on a console. A shorter hose will make you more streamline and protect both the reef and your expensive computer from damage. However it will make it nearly impossible to use a console compass, you would need to use a wrist compass which is better anyway.

Save the bubbles,

I find your story confusing to say the least. If I stick with my buddy reasonably closely I would use their max-depth value. Maybe I'd add a few meters just to be conservative. A simple depth guage will do just fine for this job like it has for many many years. All of them I owned had a "maximum" needle that you reset to zero before a dive and the depth needle would shove it over.

So when you get to the surface:
1) Look at max depth
2) Look at wristwatch (Timex IronMan 200M works great, cheap)
3) Read the table

As I said I'm not against anyone purchasing a computer. But it seems a waste of money until you have been diving long enough to get your air consumption under control. Every new diver I've seen goes through a tank so fast they do not get near table limits. At which point why not just use a table? It's cheap, simple, and everyone should be able to do it.

When I dive with computer I have a table and wristwatch also.

I like the idea of tracking my dives and depths. I like being able to review my dives afterwards. Mostly, I feel that I would be able to dive longer if a computer was tracking my time rather than using a table when I was only at 60 feet for a minute.

Alarms are nice too as it is easy to lose track of depth and time (especially when taking photos).

I have a regulator already and the next 2 items seemed like an octo and a computer. I'd rather rent the BC since it takes so much space in my luggage.

saturnkk:
I like the idea of tracking my dives and depths. I like being able to review my dives afterwards. Mostly, I feel that I would be able to dive longer if a computer was tracking my time rather than using a table when I was only at 60 feet for a minute.

Alarms are nice too as it is easy to lose track of depth and time (especially when taking photos).

I have a regulator already and the next 2 items seemed like an octo and a computer. I'd rather rent the BC since it takes so much space in my luggage.

I would assume you have heard of the saying "Plan your dive and dive your plan", if you loose track of what you are doing you face potential decompression hazards plus out of air emergencies. Also if you think you will forget looking at your depth gauge and watch what makes you think you will look at a computer? Watch what you buy closely because some computers will go into gauge mode if you hit decompression. In other words you loose the information and it only displays current depth and time.

I really suggest you read the following:

http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/index.html

Dive computers are near the bottom.

We are around our 50th dive and rented computers on our last dive trip which was our first liveaboard and now we are ready to invest. I like the reviews I've read about Aeris but when we went to our local dive center they were pushing Scuba pro uwtech smart com which was about $950 ouch! We like the AI but we also just have the reg consule for air and depth in case the comp craps out

As an instructor, I always tell students that dive computers are "convenience" gears for diving. You will never really NEED a dive computer for diving. At the same time, I am not saying that diving with a computer makes one a bad diver. They do make diving pretty easy. But do understand that dive computers don't replace planning your dive. I would usually tell people to treat their dive computers as backups rather than relying on them. My computer died one me once while diving. And it wasn't the first time I've seen a computer went wrong while underwater (but it was the first time it happened to me).

Again, I am not trying to talk people out of buying and/or using dive computers. Just sharing my views about dive computers and what they do for us.............GUE/DIR or not.

Back
Top Bottom