I Need A New Dive Light!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am now naming names. My elcheapo light is branded Ultrafire. When it arrived it was non functional. I cleaned a whole pile of grease out of it and tossed one of the cut through orings. The light still flickered and went on and off if you tapped it. On subsequent inspection, the outer plastic coating on the Ultrafire GH 26650 5000mAH battery was starting to peel away at the bottom. And a metal spacer fell off, revealing a battery inside a tube. WTF? The outer tube is the proper size for a 26650, but there is a much smaller battery jammed inside the tube. So the 5000mAH rating is extremely suspect. But I did get what I paid for. My mistake.

When I was going through one of my green phases, I stocked up on rechargeable batteries for lots of gizmo's. The "C" sized Eveready batteries had the similar design, a C sized case with a AA battery inside. Not a happy camper considering they were 2X more expensive. My take away was batteries are really hard to find the best value because what you are buying is a shape and meaningless number on the side...

While searching for a video light I came across a lot of products that are denoted as "backup dive light".

Question is what criteria is used to decide that a light is only good as a backup?

Thanks for your informative replies.
P

Sent from MiPad

I don't have any experience with any of the sites listed below, but good prices. Looks like the Mako with the Archon name.

and another

I bought the Archon V10 (from the link above in quotes) and received it today. Took about 2 weeks to get here. For $34.08, it's a very well-made light. Workmanship is excellent. Also comes with 2 extra o-rings. Very bright and I like the beam pattern... which is similar to the SL4 actually. Nice intensity in the middle fading out to the edges smoothly with no rings. I really like it. It's very small, 5 1/2" long x 1 3/32" wide. It'll fit in my pocket without being bulky which is really nice. For the price I paid, I think it is hard to beat. Haven't taken it underwater yet, but can't wait even though it's just a light.

While searching for a video light I came across a lot of products that are denoted as "backup dive light".

Question is what criteria is used to decide that a light is only good as a backup?

Thanks for your informative replies.
P

Sent from MiPad
general criteria is that you must own at least 2 lights. your backup light MUST be smaller, cheaper and less powerful than your primary light. or else you will die.
OR....
"backup dive light" is really just a marketing term used to convince you to buy 2 lights.

it is really up to you to decide if a particular light can is suitable as your primary pr your backup. for me, my backup must fit in my bcd pocket. but it is also the exact same light as my primary.

"backup dive light" is really just a marketing term used to convince you to buy 2 lights.

I have found real use for my backup on several occasions. I've never had my primary fail, but four times I have seen a buddy have light issues underwater, which I easily fixed by handing off my backup. This is the main reason why I always carry two lights.

During the day, one light is sufficient.

During a night dive, two lights are essential. I carry: one big + two small.

One time I was doing night dive with a group of 8 folks, and on our way back, I noticed this diver was completely in darkness and alone. WTF. Not sure how long he was without a light. His camera light must've gone out somehow. I had 3 torches, so I signaled to him and gave him one. Once on the ground, yep, he confirmed his camera light somehow died. It was some 10 minute away before we reached the shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom