I need advice on cleaning my wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have just bought a new wet suit for £100 and there is one problem I am unsure as to the best way of cleaning it and getting it dry quickly. I need it to be dry quickly as in the summer I will be using it everyday and I am sure that some of you will know there is nothing worse than putting on a damp smelly wetsuit! Any advice would be very welcome!

Hello in reply to your question first would be:

1. What company manufactures your suit?
2. What is the material composition of your dry suit?

Most all manufacturers of wet and dry suits provide information on the care of their product, you can first visit their website and review the cleaning products and accessories. this would be your first stop. Then once you find the products they recommend, then visit your local dive shop to purchase the products and ask them to walk you through the process. I hope this answers your question, If you need a point of contact at the company feel free to let me know what company and I will provide you with the contact. Happy cold water diving.

rainreg

Most dive shops will sell a detergent for wetsuits (sink-the-stink is what my shop sells, but there are other names) and they really do work great! Just soak your wetsuit in the tub with that for an hour or so, and it should do the trick.

Or, if you can't find anything like that, look for "simple-green". It is a non-toxic disinfectant and deoderizor than won't hurt the water if some is left in your suit. You may also try simply washing it (cold water, gentle cycle) I've done this, and it didn't hurt my suit at all. Maybe Febreeze for laundry would work too...its also non-toxic.

As for drying, the best think I can recommend is getting a wetsuit hanger, and build a STRONG bar over your bathtub! The hanger has very wide "shoulders" which helps seperate the fabric so it dries evenly. I personally prefer putting on a damp wetsuit (course, I live in the tropics, so cold is not my biggest concern) but it is much easier to get on that way!

madyorkielass6,
Looks like :bunny: pretty much covered the basics. Dive shops often use very mild cleaners you would clean your laundry with. Just make sure that there isn't any harmful chemicals in it that would upset the fish. Sink the stink is a great product, but doesn't need to be used every time you use your neoprene. If you start to get a hint of bio-yuck smell, it's time to whip it out, otherwise commercially available wetsuit shampoo from your local dive shop will work better.

When you wash your suit, make an effort to wash and rinse both sides, unless you happen to be dunking it in a large bucket or trash can. Drying it should be rotated as well. Inside out first, then when it's dry enough, outside out. Remember to drip dry your neoprene, don't leave it in the sun and don't stick it in a washer. Once dry, try to keep it on a proper hanger to avoid creasing the neoprene.

I've had good luck using "Woolite" in the bathtub. I have to put my weights on top of the suit to keep it under the water. I just let it dry in the shower overnight. If you live in a safe neighborhood, you could leave it outside.

Merlin

Love the little "bunny" dude! Did I do that? (if I did..someone PLEASE tell me how I did it!) or was that part of your magic, Mario? *grins* If it was you...thanks! (waves an ear at you and wiggles her nose happily!)

:bunny: I thought it to be fitting for you to use the bunny, because of your alias. We have been adding more to the available choices. Just click on the smilies link on the bottom of this page to view all that's currently available.

If you or anyone else for that matter want to add or change anything to your 'signature line' at the bottom of your posts, just edit your profile at the top right hand corner of this page.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom