I need some basic advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then I was also thinking about some kind of 20 ft hose that one person can hold at the surface while the other goes under to swim around.
That's physiclally (almost) impossible. The pressure differential at depth will make it impossible for you to suck enough air to survive. That's the function of a diving "regulator" to equalize the pressure at depth so you can breathe. Try it in a pool, I'm pretty sure it won't work much past 4-5'.

Ginnie Springs Outdoors - Discover SCUBA might be your best option now. You'll learn basics then go on a real dive with gear to probably 40' or so. Usually all in a morning or less. For $100.
The crystal-clear waters of Ginnie Springs provide the perfect place to try scuba for the first time. There are no wind, waves, breaking surf, stinging salt water or rocking dive boats to worry about -- just the opportunity to relax and enjoy the magic of the underwater world under the guidance of our highly experienced instructors. Discover Scuba Diving is a non-certification program. The emphasis is on enjoying the experience of breathing effortlessly under water -- not on mastering complex skills. It is the perfect opportunity to find out whether or not scuba is right for you, before committing to a full-length, entry-level certification course. The Discover Scuba activity fee includes all equipment, instruction, air fills and dive fees. There are no additional expenses.

SNUBA is relatively safe. Tourists on cruise ships have been doing it for decades with just about an hour of training. But I believe only to 12'? feet - the hose length...

Another option if you just want to snorkel around Ginnie - and shallow ocean reefs - is take a Freediving course. I've been on a dive at 80' and met up with a freediver - he looked around for a couple of minutes then left. They used more streamlined gear than divers generally to optimize their swimming performance.

We don't dive yet. I just saw a movie of some carrying these 1 foot portable oxygen tanks around (for emergency purposes but will serve ours well), which I was interested in buying.
Don't - first of all that was a movie. So you didn't see the safety divers just off camera. 2nd without proper Scuba Training (yes you can buy them without it) there's a chance you can Air Embolize. 3rd how do you know the actors weren't properly certified? Most movies that involve diving have an on-site Dive Safety Officer always present during shooting - usually they have credentials well beyond an Instructor Rating also.

Read this first few posts of this thread and decide if the risk of an Arterial Gas Embolism is worth it to you: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/kimber-watch/146485-updates-kimber-tekdivegirl.html

Last edited:
The fact you are asking for advice shows intelligence on your behalf. How you use the advice we give you will show whether or not you have wisdom. Please listen to what has been said here. Never under any circumstance should you enter into a cavern or cave underwater without proper training. The fact that came here to ask after searching on Google shows resourcefulness. If you can't afford scuba training now you could save up and do it when you can. I see you live in Miami. You could try a local Community College if you are old enough or a local Rec Center. Another way could be call all your local scuba shops and tell them you really want to learn but can't afford it. Ask if you can do some handy work around the shop to help pay for it. I do hope you take our advice.
Be safe and good luck,
Chris

+1 on what everyone has said. Enjoy Ginne, lots of eye candy and a fun place to cool off. The caves and caverns will still be there when you get the training.

Sounded to me like he was talking about a simple hose open at the surface rather than a snuba system with a compressor.

In SNUBA there is a tank of compressed air on a small float. There is no compressor attached. There is a long hose that attaches to the back and then forward to single regulator. So you are breathing like scuba but no bcd etc.

SNUBA International, Inc. - Introducing people to the underwater world since 1988

The hose is 20 ft but if you are towing the tank then it will be less than 20 ft. Also they usually pick shallow dive sites.

Any thing that allows you to take a breath under water aside from a snorkel requires 1. Pressurized air, 2. Training to use from a qualified instructor 3. Device to deliver the air to you at the same pressure you are at underwater (deeper=more pressure) and 4. Training. Use without training is a good way to get yourself seriously hurt or killed. SCUBA is sport much like skydiving, if you are properly trained and observe all the rules, it is relatively safe. If you just grab a chute (or tank even a small one) and jump, well....good luck with that. I don't see it ending well but I do see happy physicians and/or undertakers.

As for the 25 foot hose, with one end held out of the water, well that is physically impossible unless you have a compressor on the surface, and then you are back to breathing compressed air and need training.

What can go wrong you ask? Well short story is, lungs go pop!

Caves - Very advanced diving requiring special training (cave certification) and equipment. Crystal clear water on entry can be disturbed by a careless fin flick and when you turn around to find your way out, you can't see 1 inch in front of your face. This has often resulted in end of life experiences for those who venture into caves/wrecks without training.

• hey, I am here because I need experienced advice since I'm not having much luck on Google. Eventually I will get my cert and equipment, but not in the budget for now. I am going to Ginnie Springs, FL tomorrow, and last time we went there were some AMAZING caves to explore but impossible to hold your breath very long. We don't dive yet. I just saw a movie of some carrying these 1 foot portable oxygen tanks around (for emergency purposes but will serve ours well), which I was interested in buying. Then I was also thinking about some kind of 20 ft hose that one person can hold at the surface while the other goes under to swim around. I'm not talking anything serious, just a 5-10 minute exploration. Do you experienced divers have any input or advice? I'd really appreciate it, I'm determined to figure something out.

Social Darwinism:confused: ....good luck

I hope you listen to the sage advice expressed here. I live in Central Florida and dive lots of caverns, such as Devils Den, Blue Grotto, Gennie Springs, Paradise Springs etc.... There are certain skills required to dive them safely. Buoyancy control is essential, visibility can go from crystal clear to zero viz. in a few seconds. In an overhead environment there is no quick easy way to the surface, you have an obstacle over your head. Simple issues can become life threatening in a split second, even something as simple as batteries dying in your light can be real serious if you don't have a backup. Most importantly you have to have a solid dive buddy that is also well trained. Unfortunately, even well trained experienced divers sometimes do not survive catastrophic equipment failures in caverns and caves. Get trained, and practice the skills needed. Hope this helps.

I had never seen that before.... very very effective. Really makes me realize how dangerous it can be.... "One or both are already dead, they just don't know it yet".

Steve

Do a search on YouTube for "a deceptively easy way to die".

Stick to snorkeling. If and when you get certified don't even think about going into a cave without training. Untrained divers dying in caves give real cave divers a bad name and potentially get dive sites shut down. Darwin takes care of the stupid but it's the rest of the dive community that suffers as well as the families.

Back
Top Bottom